Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I just needed some advice from fellow social anxiety sufferers!
I've been diagnosed with severe social anxiety since I was 16 and I'm now 28. I've had loads of help from including CBT. There has been improvement but I am still crippled by it.
Every job I start I quit because I can't cope being around other people.

I started a new job 7months ago which is amazing how long I've lasted!

I started off working in the evening 5 until 9 and although its very hard socially for me I get on with the evening staff well.
The thing is they then asked me to work in the day doing a different job for them for two hours before I start my evening job.( its in the same place)
I really don't know if I should quit the two hour job because I just can't settle in there I'm so stressed about starting there each day and I can't warm to the people there. I'm not sure if its because I've heard them talking behind each others backs . But every day I'm literally petrified of going into work. When I get into work I just go straight to my desk and I can't even talk to anyone. I get the impression that people either think I'm a weirdo or arrogant. I can't wait for the two hours to be up so I can work with the people I feel more comfortable with.

Should I quit the two hour day job and just stick to the evening. I know its extra money but I I don't know if its worth the stress. But then again I'm prob never going to get better if I keep quitting so I don't know what to do.

Please help no else understands how hard it is.

Thank u :-(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like you said, you won't get better if you keep quitting. Stay at it, even if you decide to quit you will have the money from the extra job so in the future you won't have to do something like that again?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Anon246! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's tough, do you have anyway to get in touch with someone from your CBT therapy to get some coaching on how to deal with this? Or do you have any notes you may have done, like homework they gave you to do that you can refer to? Another suggestion might be to focus on maybe a couple of things that you may like about the job and just consentrate on them when you go to work. Keep your mind focused on that and don't let those people bother you, remember there no better than you.

·
darkangel
242 Posts
I think you should get over your fear, go out there and do it. I think your co-workers will respect you for it, and if they don't, ***** 'em....then maybe consider a new position if it still doesn't work out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts