Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, people may remember a guy from a while ago who proposed that a SILVER SWORD in the fight against social anxiety was not to look at people (Out Of Sight Out Of Mind technique)?? That was me and this is something I'm still using today and still works. :D

Since then it occurred to me that you can try this with a simple experiment of going into a food place like McDonalds or somewhere and not look at a single person. NOW, if you have SA as bad as or worse than I did, eating will normally be very hard if not impossible in this situation - BUT IM TELLING YOU- go into the restaurant and don't LOOK at anyone except by accident, in fact don't look at anyone on the way there either, as you go through town/shopping centre etc. By the time you sit down with your food (and still not looking at anyone) you should feel the least self conscious you've ever felt and trust me - you will eat that burger without shaking/blushing/sweating, without a tight throat and without spitting it everywhere. It will be the best public burger you've had since you were too young to care about social stuff.
I promise you that I went from doing those kinds of things to being confident via this very simple cure I had discovered.
I had pretty severe SA had went through horribly embarrassing incidences including shaking in front of a whole class during a talk and not just slightly - I was sweating, could barely form/recite even a written sentence and yes, the paper your holding shakes aswell- I know.

Other things that may have affected my confidence
-I don't masturbate
-I took seroxat which works a little (although now I have doubts about the morality of these so) don't take them anymore
I'm not sure if these had any effect but the Out of Sight/not looking definitely starts effect the moment I start using it.

Cures this simple should be common knowledge.:)

·
Koala Crisp
1,885 Posts
Not to be a downer as I'm sure it can help people cope, but it seems more like a type of avoidance than an actual cure...
That's the impression I get. This is something I do anyway and want to stop doing rather than continue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It IS avoidance. I do that when I have to go anywhere. Better if I'm with someone because then they can make sure I don't walk into walls or miss big giant signs about danger and whatnot. Since people are everywhere it's easy to miss seeing things you need to see to be safe. I quite imagine I could be easily robbed doing that. Lucky about low crime around here. It doesn't really improve anything but can get through something if you must. The consequences of intentionally not being very aware though don't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is the same bloke who was posting this same advice on Social Phobia Planet a number of months back.

I'll say now what I said then. This is NOT an all inclusive cure. It MIGHT help some, it certainly won't do much for most and claiming it will is simply misleading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts