Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Job . Horrible Social Anxiety???

Hello . I'm new to this , I just got a job at Starbucks! I am 18 years old with not much family or friends, I love with my grandma who has been my mom hero and helped me.....I basically had a traumatic childhood my parents abused me for no reason what so ever it was so dysfunctional and I've had anxiety and low confidence since I was a kid! I got into drugs and I have been clean for 2 years got my GED and now started this new job
However I'm very quiet and don't even talk to my co workers very much I'm the youngest one there and I'm not very outgoing with customers I am friendly and smile but I have such bad anxiety and I'm afraid of rejection or sounding stupid or embarassing myself

I feel like I have no personality, or know who I am ...& that my co workers think I'm awkward or weird and can see I have low confidence because I show that. I feel so ugly and don't know what to do I hate living like this.

·
Dubstepper
339 Posts
Starting a new job always has anxiety, which can be tremendously worse when you have anxiety already. I'm trying to work on my anxiety at work as well, but we have to work on it cause it can just make work hell.

I can relate to the feeling of having no personality, and I think it's only because we don't have a 'social' personality, we're not out making dumb jokes or pointless small talk with people. That appears as if you have no personality because people always expect these sort of things, but it seems pointless to me. I'd rather talk to a shyer quiet person and get to know them than talk to someone who's super talkative and talkative to everyone, but actually I try to talk to both.

Good job getting clean though and getting your G.E.D., you should feel confident about that now you can start to have a normal life. It's okay that you have anxiety now, it doesn't mean it will always be there. This forum should remind you that a lot of people have anxiety, even terrible anxiety, and some are just good at hiding it.

I felt like that was too long, but no one gave you a good reply and I can relate with anxiety at work. It can be such an awkward environment for people with anxiety, not that most other places are any better.

If you need someone to talk to there's always me or other people on this forum, I'm personally trying to make anxiety better for work, cause that's where it sucks the most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts