Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 18, I moved out of home just before my 18th birthday. I had a lot of problems with the people I lived with, and eventually moved home at the end of the year.
I moved out again a couple of months ago, it's too difficult living at home.
Here's my problem. I have severe social anxiety, for some situations. I live with several people I don't really know, a lady and her son who is the same age as me. If I think they're in the lounge, or walking about, I can't leave my room. Sometimes this means I don't eat, I've barely eaten at all this week which isn't doing anything good for my eating disorder. I also wont do things like using the bathroom. It sounds ridiculous but I can't make myself go out there, I'd rather just suffer. I hate it, and I don't know what to do about it.
Any suggestions? I feel like such a pathetic baby.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I once lived with a friend and his family and whenever his parents were in the living room and I was in my room, I would avoid going to the kitchen for fear of them gazing at me. I think about it now, and realize how ridiculous I was. Irrationality becomes rationality in the minds of Social Anxiety sufferers. What I've done that helps is telling yourself how irrational your thoughts are and gradually confronting that fear. Or, you can wait till they fall asleep and then eat. That's what I did. I'm human, I have to eat. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
Think about it logically. Just going out there, saying a 'hi' and then ignoring them completely is better than not coming out at all. You don't have to entertain anyone. And if they ask you, you can always say 'I'm going through a difficult time, I'd rather not talk about it' and they will definitely leave you alone.

Don't do this to yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts