Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you guys get this? if so usually the friends will say somethign like "x, you seem a little off today...."?

i recall being out recently in the city and being very socially anxious(actually i wouldnt really label it as such, but i was just feeling so in my head that i couldn't follow the conversation with my friends) around my friends whom ive known for awhile

whats weird is that im not always like this around them. that if we are out i can relax and enjoy moment to moment. but some days im so overwhelmed that i just feel i have nothing to say when everybody else has a whole lot to say.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Yea. Well when I still had my job I worked with a friend I knew for like 7 years. Everyday I think it got worse and worse till eventually I felt like a vegetable. I even apolagized to him for being how I was. And another person at work told me how he says I just stand there and don't talk behind my back. 7 years. I don't get it.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Fmily is the worst.

Frends are btter but bad.

MEans I have SA always. Even right here, in your living room.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I'm still a little quiet around long time friends. My take on it is that they are used to my personality so it doesn't bother them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i get this sometimes too. it makes me very awkward. I think it's because there is an expectation for us to say or do something since they're our close friends. =/

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think ackward silences would be more accepting with long term friends since the relationship is already established.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can relate...do you ever have good days though, where you seem to have unusual confidence, and notice that people are a little taken aback? It's sort of irritating but makes me feel good inside as well.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Long-term friends? Wow, that's an interesting concept. I don't have any of them. Don't have any short-term friends either. Don't have friends period.

·
Registered
290 Posts
here I'll post my usual: hsperson.com.

Followed by my typical shpeel: studies have found roughly 15-18% of the general population (I think in the US) is what is called "highly sensitive." This means people who are more sensitive to their environment: sounds, sights, people, activity, as well as their own feelings, thoughts. They become more quickly overstimulated than people who aren't highly sensitive, and need time alone, and/or with lower levels of stimulation, to regain their balance.

One key thing to realize about being Highly Sensitive: you are in a minority. 15-18% means less than 2 in every 10 people is highly sensitive. That means 8 of every ten people *are not* highly sensitive. Everything in mainstream society is set up for the needs of non-sensitives.

If you are highly sensitive, blanking out, withdrawing, feeling overwhelmed by too much activity, learn about being "HSP." Check out the above link. You can take better care of yourself, and you'll be better able to deal with other people who basically are clueless as to what the heck is going on with you.

The truth as I see it is that being HSP is a special trait. The problem is it isn't understood, and it's not common! But maybe you are HSP.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can relate...do you ever have good days though, where you seem to have unusual confidence, and notice that people are a little taken aback? It's sort of irritating but makes me feel good inside as well.
yeah . sometimes they will love it and i can tell they want me to be more like that. othertimes i've had them think i was high or drunk or something. hahah

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Long-term friends? Wow, that's an interesting concept. I don't have any of them. Don't have any short-term friends either. Don't have friends period.
i understood when making this post some people on this forum don't even have friends. well don't give up. but me making this post just shows we all have our bad days with or without friends

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here I'll post my usual: hsperson.com.

Followed by my typical shpeel: studies have found roughly 15-18% of the general population (I think in the US) is what is called "highly sensitive." This means people who are more sensitive to their environment: sounds, sights, people, activity, as well as their own feelings, thoughts. They become more quickly overstimulated than people who aren't highly sensitive, and need time alone, and/or with lower levels of stimulation, to regain their balance.

One key thing to realize about being Highly Sensitive: you are in a minority. 15-18% means less than 2 in every 10 people is highly sensitive. That means 8 of every ten people *are not* highly sensitive. Everything in mainstream society is set up for the needs of non-sensitives.

If you are highly sensitive, blanking out, withdrawing, feeling overwhelmed by too much activity, learn about being "HSP." Check out the above link. You can take better care of yourself, and you'll be better able to deal with other people who basically are clueless as to what the heck is going on with you.

The truth as I see it is that being HSP is a special trait. The problem is it isn't understood, and it's not common! But maybe you are HSP.
i agree i can become shutdown in an environment which is dynamically social and alive all at once. it's not that i want to go home and retire and be alone right away, but i just want to be able to live in the moment without feeling drained and empty headed.

can you summarize what you learned from that program? I'm not really trying purchase anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts