Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm.....

This is totally unexpected, but it makes sense!

My story is this:
For months and months I had an urge to join the college newspaper club. When club hours rolled around, I always chose to go home instead. I walked the campus day in and day out kind of like a shadow, not involved in anything and not really knowing anyone. This only fueled my depression. This semester, though, I went to the first meeting. I was somewhat terrified but I couldn't show this so I just appeared very tense and stoned, perhaps. It seems I came at the right time though, because they were holding officer elections, and somehow it was agreed that I was to be an officer. This was actually great because it made me commit to coming to each meeting and other club activities, knowing that I am needed. I'm sure I wouldn't have committed without having this responsibility.

Now, a few weeks later, it's like I'm blossoming out of my shell. I have not felt like this in so many, many years. I actually feel happy, and a month ago I wouldn't have expected to feel this way. Guys, it's incredible for how long I've carried around tension in my body, especially around other people... this self-conscious feeling. Now it's like most of it has melted away and I am truly myself for the second time in my life, lol. And what touches me is that people are comfortable around me! I have been smiling and laughing every day. I've actually been making friends. I'm kind of dumbfounded... (I think other factors in my life have to do with this too, though, such as planning to breaking free from a stagnant relationship...)

I just wanted to share with all of you....

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
I'm really happy to hear that. It sounds like you're having fun again. Yay!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really happy to hear that. It sounds like you're having fun again. Yay!
LOL. I saw your name and instantly smiled :) Thanks FC! What's incredible is I'm having fun without having to rely on my addiction, games..... Anyway, how have you been??

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's what people are taught in CBT, if you take the plunge and stick in there for long enough for the anxiety to peak and start going down, then you're going to realize that you truly don't have anything to be anxious about.

Congrats!

·
Registered
116 Posts
wow congrats... ive been thinking a lot about doing something similar recently... maybe ill go try it soon

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
Good for you! Often times, social anxiety melts away when a group of people are working towards a common goal, in your case, a newspaper. I find the same thing when we do group work in my team dynamics class and as well with the band a couple of friends and I have started recently. It's freakin' awesome.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Great job on having fun again with your life :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been thinking about joining a club at my college, but at the last minute, I chicken out.

But this is inspiring. Maybe I should just stop thinking about it and just do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good for you! Often times, social anxiety melts away when a group of people are working towards a common goal, in your case, a newspaper. I find the same thing when we do group work in my team dynamics class and as well with the band a couple of friends and I have started recently. It's freakin' awesome.
Very true... When I work to organise events with friends, I forget I have a problem, it takes all the focus off myself.
I just have to try and generalise that feeling throughout my life for all situations and i'll be sorted.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
What a great post. thanks for putting that on here. This shows that it CAN be done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts