Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems there is an "Awareness" day for just about everything else. Do you think there should be one for SA? Would you talk to people about it (i.e. people in your life--family, co-workers etc.)?

Sometimes, it seems I just want to tell people I have SA; then, I feel they would at least understand there is a reason for the way I am. But at the same time, I also understand that the entire conept of "Awareness" means "attention," and of course, we as SAers probably do not welcome a lot of attention.

·
I have no heart!!
1,517 Posts
i think most people on this site wouldnt like to call that much attention to themselves

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
^ I don't think it's a matter of simply calling attention to ourselves. The point of awareness is bringing attention to a problem that people are normally ignorant on (and it would be beneficial for people to have more knowledge on the basics and details of such).

I think an SA awareness day is a good idea especially since, as you said SF, there are awareness days for a lot of other atypical afflictions in people. I don't know if it would catch on though.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I think most "normal" people would scoff at such a condition. Since everyone has social anxiety on some level, they would just tell you to get over it not realizing how severe some people's anxiety is.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I think most "normal" people would scoff at such a condition. Since everyone has social anxiety on some level, they would just tell you to get over it not realizing how severe some people's anxiety is.
Which is why there are events such as "awareness" that are conceived in people's minds and then put into action.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've thought about it, but like olschool said, that's adding more attention to us, which we hate! I do think more people should know about it, though. I read somewhere once that it's one of the most common anxiety disorders, yet people often mistake it for shyness.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
...that's adding more attention to us, which we hate!
I don't think all of us hate attention. Most of us just have a big fear of negative attention. There is a difference there. But I think this is a disorder where something like an awareness day would induce fears in us. Talk about a coincidence, haha!

I read somewhere once that it's one of the most common anxiety disorders, yet people often mistake it for shyness.
The two are not mutually exclusive. There are some specifics that seperate these two terms, but most people are both.

·
Kafkaesque
172 Posts
Other people may welcome this, but to me, this sounds downright disastrous. I prefer invisibility to attention. I'm all right being friendless as long as no one harrasses me. Most normal people won't realize how social anxiety works no matter how hard we try to enlighten them. They're likely to make the situation worse by approaching us out of pity. While this may help some people, the mere idea of having more than one person flocking around me because of some sublime, altruistic motive freaks me out. Even if it lasts just one singly day, I can't stand it. It would corrode my self-confidence and exacerbate my fear of humans in general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts