Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Social Anxiety Anonymous - Group Calls

7K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  ConferenceCall 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Not sure if you guys are aware that there's a Social Phobia / Anxiety Group Call Meetings.

Meets every week:

Saturday at 2pm Pacific, 3pm Mountain, 4pm Central, and 5pm Eastern.

Wednesday at 6pm Pacific, 7pm Mountain, 8pm Central, and 9pm Eastern.

Sundays at 6pm Pacific, 7pm Mountain, 8pm Central, and 9pm Eastern.

**NOTE: You NEVER have to register for any Social Phobics Anonymous groups, just call in to the phone number.

Telephone number and access code (United States and Canada )
1-605-475-8500
Enter Pin Numbers 5802-474

Social Phobics Anonymous

I was on it tonight and it was pretty good.

Regards,
qvsas

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi.

When I first found this place the search had turned up a bunch of pages
from a geocities page that had info on calls and such.

It was in all diff. large size fonts & diff. color writing.

Kind of hard to read it how it was set up.

I only was able to decipher a couple & hadn't caught them yet.(I just joined a week ago.)

In any event thanks for listing them in a clear concise format for us like that.

I'm going to try to catch tomorrows call. Listen in at least. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Anyone try this number yet? I might give it a try today. I would be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences first, though. I have found some other mentions of this group by searching "Social Phobics Anonymous" on SAS.

How exactly does a phone call meeting go..?

Also, would this cost anything/show up by name on my cell bill? My parental unit monitors just about everything I do on my phone lately..
Best thread that I could find

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...phobics-anonymous-conference-and-spoke-32738/

It is a structured call. Part of the meeting is for reading helpful material, part is for structured sharing, part is for sharing anything, etc. When the line was opened for general sharing, I wanted to speak so badly but I felt like I was frozen. The moderator kept reminding everyone that is was OK to not speak - listening helps too.

But, finally, I DID IT! I SPOKE! My anxiety level was so high that I was shaking and my throat was constricted. The voice coming out of my mouth didn't sound like me. I managed to say something like... "Hi, I'm Jocelyn. This is my first time calling in. I'm insanely anxious right now but wanted to thank you for hosting these meetings." I think I said something else but can't remember. Not groundbreaking stuff but I did it, lived through it, and feel good about it, and that's what is important.

At the end of the call, they open the lines for socializing. That was a very quiet social event. One person finally spoke and then I spoke again - with less anxiety that time. I did not say much, but again, the point is that I did it.
Couple of things...

1. Thanks for all the encouragement!!!
2. To avoid long distance charges - use a cell phone.
3. To avoid using minutes - call in to the conference that is at a time when your cell phone company gives free minutes. For example, my minutes are free after 8pm on weekdays and all day on Saturday/Sunday.

#5 ·
Telephone Commands for Conference call Users

Saw this on the main site. It wasn't mentioned by the OP, so I'll post it. Really good to know

Telephone Commands for Conference call Users:

TO TALK: Press Star (*) and then "3" on your telephone.

TO MUTE: Press Star (*) and then "2" on your telephone. (Please always mute yourself when not speaking to keep background noise in the call to a minimum. Remember to Un-mute yourself when you want to speak again)
http://www.geocities.com/seanphilib/HowToAcessSPAPhoneGroups.html

#7 ·
I tried it today. I didn't speak during the meeting. The meeting had a lot of silence, but three or four people other than the moderator spoke. The first part, where the mod wanted people to read material from the Social Phobic Anonymous website, was a little awkward. Only one person was willing to read. The mod didn't try to push any specific person into reading the material or anything like that. In the next part you could share a little about yourself or another topic. Most of the speaking occured during the sharing part. At the end of the meeting we were left to have an open discussion. No one talked, but this might have just been a bad day. I managed to say a hello after most of the people had left, but I didn't get a response.

I plan on calling in again sometime. I doubt I'll share anything, but maybe I'll be able to say more next time.

This past week, I called into two Recovery Inc. meetings, only listening in, and fearing that I hadn't managed to put it on "mute".
On Social Phobic Anonymous a message comes on when you put it on mute. Another one comes one when you take it off of mute. By pressing *4 you can also find out how many people are at the meeting.

#17 ·
#22 ·
i just called and it said "the high speed conferencing thing has been replaced, u may try the new one at so and so .com..." what's going on??? this is the first time I called and I was really anticipating and now it's been taken down???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.