Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you currently smoke marijauna? (At least once a year)

• Yes

Votes: 90 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 129 58.9%
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Looking for answers
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smoke marijuana as a hobby. If you have a problem with that, stop reading this post.

Marijuana helps me be aware of how crippled my self confidence is. It's helped me realize who I am. I've realized, however, that I am not comfortable sharing myself with others. When I'm sober and in public, I tell myself that I am in control - that it's stupid to talk to strangers, or that I just don't want to. What marijuana has taught me is that I'm afraid. It has helped me accept my fear and it has made my thoughts and emotions real for me so that I may deal with them. It makes things simple and easy to understand, instead of a mental roadblock that tells me not to talk to other people. If I can not accept my fears, how in the hell can I ever learn to deal with them?

I'm wondering if any of you have had similar experiences and would like to share them here? Let's not make this a debate on morals or anything, but an intelligent discussion on marijuana and social anxiety.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a psychedelic drug, smoking cannabis often materializes for me as a sort of mild trip (ala LSD, mushrooms, etc.). Depending on how high I get and what my current life and mental situation is, it can lead to deep introspection and hyper-awareness, becoming a very intimate and sometimes very unpleasant experience. Cannabis can be a great tool, and even though I may sometimes be scared of where in my mind it will take me, deep down I will always love it. I do however believe that because it serves to amplify personality traits and feelings, it at times may be counter productive (i.e. someone whose thoughts already revolve around beating themselves up and focusing on flaws and negativity may not be best served with a joint). At the same time, because of it's ability to peel back the layers of avoidance and denial it can be very beneficial in learning acceptance and surrender. I could write pages and pages about thoughts on cannabis and heavier psychedelics, but these are just some quick thoughts.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I plan on using Medical Cannabis as my only treatment if I ever get a medical card or live in a medical state.

What people dont realize is that although it can make you go nuts and freak out, it can also do amazing things.

In addition to the short term anxiolytic effects it produces for me, I have also received long term benefits as well.

Stuff like introspection and deep thinking have helped myself realize more of who I am. I have also used it to recognize my maladaptive thought patterns that lead to the cycle of anxiety.

It is not like alcohol where you can drink and forget until the morning. Smoking reefer puts all of those problems that I have shoved into the back of my mind and makes me conscious of them so it forces me to deal with them somehow. The good thing about reefer is im also aware of solutions to my problems for the most part.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Because of my SA, I don't know very many people. Even if I wanted marijuana, I would have a hard time finding it. People at my high school used to accuse me of using drugs. They must have had more confidence in my networking skills than I deserved. A friend once offered to smoke some with me, but I wasn't really interested. Who knows though, I might try it someday. I like to experience as many things as I can. As far as other people using it, I don't really care. I believe in the freedom to live your life as you choose.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It just makes me think of all my problems and of course I don't know how to deal with them so I freak out. It's nice to smoke a ton and feel good as an occasional hobby, a mini vacation. Maybe like smoking once a month or something. I think a lot of the medical marijuana aspects are just from people that want to smoke it. It can be a useful tool for a lot of people but it's not totally the miracle drug it's presented as.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used to smoke every day and enjoyed it but then started to get paranoid and depressed when I smoked so I don't do it anymore. You're state of mind is very important with cannabis. And back when I was doing it everyday (around 1999-2003) I was in a better state of mind then I am now. Maybe one day I'll be able to enjoy it again like I used to. :b:b

·
Banned
545 Posts
I don't think I can vote because I've only quit for about 4 months so far. :b

I smoked almost daily for about 10 years. As a teenager, it was very relaxing. As I get older, I guess the burden of responsibility kicks in, and it just makes me paranoid. I kept smoking for years. It turned into an anti-social habit. I don't like smoking in public, and I don't like doing things in public while stoned. It became more of a setback for me, and it's also taken it's toll on my memory and concentration.

It was fun though. :)

·
Looking for answers
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
love the responses.

So a couple people have mentioned that marijuana amplifies negative thought. I've found that if I'm with other people - then yes, absolutely 100% true. I start thinking negative and paranoid thoughts that get so bad that I start shivering and ****. Not a pretty sight.

During the summer I smoked with a friend who had a lot of the same sentiments as I do - but without the social anxiety. At first, it was really nerve-racking to be high around somebody else. But the more we smoked, the more relaxed i was. i was even able to present myself to his parents in a relaxed manner. the end of that summer was probably the happiest i've been in a long time.

However, if I'm alone, I become hyper aware of those negative thoughts and I'm able to turn them around into positive thoughts. So "nobody likes me" turns into "I have close friends" or "I'm a nobody who doesn't exist" turns into "i like myself and my personality". It's really good for my self-esteem. I have a journal to help me sort out of my thoughts, and when I look at entries i wrote when i was high, i can tell that i was really relaxed and copacetic.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
It tends to make me more freaked out in social settings. Not to say I don't like to smoke weed sometimes, but it's not something I want to do every time I hang out with people anymore. I much prefer to do it by myself, play some guitar, and at the most do it with people that I won't be too nervous around.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Never tried it, then again i hate smoke from anything.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I used to smoke it in my younger days but I got a lot of paranoia from it so I no longer would smoke it, havent for a long time. I have no problem or issue with others smoking it. I strongly advocate the legalization of it also.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
I haven't smoked it in years. It amplified my anxiety tenfold, so it's probably in my best interest to never have any again.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Because of my SA, I don't know very many people. Even if I wanted marijuana, I would have a hard time finding it.
Yeah, me too. Where do you actually get marijuana from? I'm so naive and socially isolated I wouldn't be able to go out and find any if somebody held a gun to my head. So no I've never tried it.

·
Anywhere, take me there ~
228 Posts
I start shivering and ****.
I start shivering really badly and chattering my teeth after I do it.. does marijuana make you cold (dumb question)? or is this some weird form of anxiety?

·
Looking for answers
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I start shivering really badly and chattering my teeth after I do it.. does marijuana make you cold (dumb question)? or is this some weird form of anxiety?
it certainly feels like i'm cold... but no, it's just anxiety. once the high wears off, however, i'm oddly relaxed and confident. it's weird.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts