Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the PsychologyToday blogs, i once read something to the effect that everyone feels like people can read their thoughts... it's just a human thing (or something) It's got an actual name but I can't remember it. Something "spotlight" or something.

But it will get better, the whole not finding the right words and stuff... it just just takes a lot of work ( and anxiety) to get thru it.

Remember, it's up to them to understand YOU. Active listening! And you're probably not the dumbest or the smartest in the room so it's just like everyone's trying to get on "the level," even tho none of us really know what that is : )

I've found existentialism to be a big support for me. We humans are ( don't freak out) absurd. We've all been thru ****, felt on top, been a no one, it's just how life is. But existentialism says "Having anxiety means you're an individual." And I think this is so true. People with anxiety care! In a way, we are like the artists of life! As an existentialism says: Every choice we make puts meaning out into the world... I think of every action against my own social anxiety is also a rebellion against the judgemental-ness of society as a whole!

And conversation is always surely to be a little strained when you've had the world to think about... I mean, small talk for instance, it's nothing new really when someone tells you that they were born 3 days before their cousin... I was born 1 day before mine! And? And I've found that being overly expressive is fine and dandy! Of course, it's easier at a party or a group of people, but don't be afraid to give the look that says "wow, this didn't go anywhere, and it's neither of our's fault, it's just how things are!"

I think a social-anxieteer (like me) is always on the look-out to connect and find meaning. However, it COMES and GOES, for whatever cosmic reason..

If you can get real with life, anxiety is everywhere, but I've come to say that living in a comfortable cocoon is as bad as being on drugs... neither is where life really is!

Maybe social anxieteers are really intelligent and thoughtful, and so they KNOW there's nothing you can really say to make the situation better, or worse, or neither, or hellish, or heavenly... it's just all too hard to figure out! When you get in this state of mind, even for a moment, you can tap into the freedom that lies in existing: that there IS no pattern or true rhythm. JUST BUST A MOVE! And to those who want to judge the quirkiness of life itself? Well I have a haughty little song line for: "Be ignored by the stiff and the bored because I'm gonna!" People who won't give the time of day for awkwardness are living-in-a-****ing-cocoon . That's why I like bowling alley's, haha.

But in all seriousness, living with anxiety and acting out of it is awesome, commendable, and ****ing exciting lol. Pleasure, good may come, it may not... it's just the choice of acting which is where life really is.

Peace, Love, and Absurdity,
--royompiscus

·
Sitting on a sunbeam
137 Posts
For a period of time I became interested in philosophy, particularly existentialism and nihilism. I began having intrusive, obsessive thoughts on whether I exist, questioned what was real, and the meaning of life, of matter.
Maybe it can help you, but I wouldn't advise an anxiety sufferer to read into it too much. It can get disturbing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most definitely it can be disturbing! I also wouldn't recommend a good heavy dose of existentialism... to hardly anyone lol. But the fact remains is that life IS pretty absurd, and that can give you freedom with anxiety, or it can put you in a closet ~ with anxiety. Existentialism wasn't suppose to be a retreat from the world, but more of a "hard optimism" in the face of the world and it's obstacles (meaningless).

I want to emphasize the aspect of remaining an individual, which entails action and choice even tho we can never understand the external world. "Bust a Move!"

I don't care as long as you sing!

And always keep a sense of humor! It'll keep ya head above water :]

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I certainly do feel like Sisyphus one moment and Caligula the next. But the freedom of losing the hope of living forever (and the anxiety that comes with it) is certainly appealing (and liberating). If we accept the idea that life is absurd, it might help us feel more empowered.

·
alien monk
8,875 Posts
I love nihilism and existentialism. The only difference I can see between the 2 is that in existentialism values are special and in nihilism they're just things. I prefer nihilism. I like nietzsche although I have actually only read 'thus spake zarathustra' by him, but i'm on my third reading of it.

to me nihilism says do it or not, it doesn't matter. care about doing it, or not, it doesn't matter. just be yourself pretty much - lol or don't. thats a great foundation to have because it gives you the freedom to just throw out any beliefs or hold any beliefs, be anything, etc. without some fear that you might be doing things "wrong".

lol i love that you said "social-anxieteer".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It CAN be empowering, that's the whole "hard optimism in the face of it all."

But just as far as Social Anxiety is concerned, I don't think nihilsm is really a concern since we just want to be part of a social setting. You don't want to rant and rave nihilistically, you just want to be an individual who is respected. Everyone loves authenticty!!!!! but not a mean *******... or a narcissist... or a nihlist... or a narcissistic nihlistic ******* :p

·
alien monk
8,875 Posts
It CAN be empowering, that's the whole "hard optimism in the face of it all."

But just as far as Social Anxiety is concerned, I don't think nihilsm is really a concern since we just want to be part of a social setting. You don't want to rant and rave nihilistically, you just want to be an individual who is respected. Everyone loves authenticty!!!!! but not a mean *******... or a narcissist... or a nihlist... or a narcissistic nihlistic ******* :p
what? i don't know where you got narcissism from. if anything nihilism makes me less narcissistic because i'm more accepting of other peoples values.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ironically, I just finished an English paper on the theories on the meaning of life about 10 minutes ago, and I said I agreed with Existentialism most!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.