Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people

New to this site so thought I would drop a message and see what happens.

Basically, I had a bit of a breakdown at work moving into my new role as a qualified engineer.. I had customers complaining to me and I had to face them alone even though I wasnt completely comfortable being able to sort the problems for them. This caused me major pressure and I found myself a shaky mess.

A few weeks down the line and im sent for a course with other engineers across the region, nobody knows each other and we have to sit and introduce ourselves and crack on with learning. This has never been a problem for me in the past as I was training but my for some reason after my breakdown I had a massive panic attack within ten minutes of starting the course and it caused me to go into a major state of panic heavy breathing weakness shaking and all the rest of it. This was a completely new thing for me and has scared me quite a lot.

Ive been to the doctors and they've prescribed me beta blockers that ive been using daily and its slightly helped with my daily job but I have a training course booked for this Thursday that's only two days away and im completely ******* myself. I don't know if im going to be able to handle it and have another panic attack at the start and sit there trying to calm myself down for two days straight.

Does anybody else suffer with the same sort of thing at work? for some reason I can handle it out of work as I don't have the pressure knowing I can walk away at any time and im actually quite confident. Does anyone have hypnotherapy or alternative medications?

Any advice welcome as im new to all this and its ruining my job!

Thanks in advance :):)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Matty,

Is this your first experience with a panic attack, or is it just your first experience in this situation? Having a panic attack can be quite overwhelming. That's my main problem - panic attacks. I don't really have them at work for whatever reason, which I still don't have an answer to, but I have them in other situations. I just want to tell you that it's normal to at least feel stressed in your situation; a lot of people do. Getting yelled at by customers kicks in our body's natural defense mechanism, and causes too much blood to flow through our system, which sometimes causes a panic attack. Sometimes when people yell at me, I start shaking and one time, when they left, I had to leave the room because I thought I was going to cry because I was so angry haha.

Okay. So with panic attacks, the most obnoxious thing about them is how much they force us to think about them. I have panic attacks because I worry about having a panic attack. Sounds pretty ridiculous, doesn't it? But that's why I have them. I had a panic attack in a certain situation, and now I constantly worry about being in that situation and having one again. Well. That doesn't help anyone. I know it's extremely difficult, but try not to think about it before you go to your training course. I know you'll want to think about it;I know you'll want to think of a backup plan in case you have a panic attack and think of many alternatives, but in reality, worrying about it now will not change the outcome. Whatever happens, happens. Taking that kind of responsibility off yourself may help you. But two, have you ever tried meditation or deep breathing? You can do that now, before Thursday. There are websites that even teach meditation. Breathing techniques are actually really good at stopping or preventing panic attacks because it forces your body to calm down, whether it likes it or not. I have never personally had hypnotherapy, although I would like to try it sometime.

As for alternative medicines, it's not really a medicine, but herbal tea has a very calming affect.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
I might spill my coffee or struggle tying my shoelaces

I have a heavy reliance on people's intellect

"uh"

makes me run

1 - 3 of 3 Posts