Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised I didn't quit my job today it got me so upset I had to fight not to burst into tears (I felt such an idiot for coming close to crying). The only reason I didn't quit is because jobs are so hard to find at the moment, and there are some people there who I really get on with and can't bear not seeing them everyday anymore (I don't know why but I don't feel able to see them outside of work).

My job just seems to get harder and harder to do. I was in charge of a department of five people, but over the last year they have all left or been let go and the bosses haven't replaced them. I know have to do all the work myself or keep asking the other department's workers to help me, but they can never say how long they can be on my work before they have to go back to their own work. So over the last couple of months i've had to juggle dealing with customers and suppliers whilst trying to work on production at the same time. I also never know when the bosses are going to pay suppliers for materials, so I have customers asking when they will receive their orders and I don't really know what to say to them.

Now our company has been bought out by another company and we have had to relocate 60 miles to move in with this company. We've only been given a small section of the factory which isn't big enough for all our machinery, so some of my machines haven't been brought over and i've been told I have to use the other company's machinery when they aren't using it. To add to that, my small section is nowhere near the other workers who I know from my company, so i'm all on my own near the other company's workers, and I feel really self-conscious and anxious when there.

What made me nearly quit today was that there was a meeting for all the workers who use the computer system (as it is being updated) to show them how the new system will work, which I should have been part of. No-one bothered to tell me about the meeting so I didn't know about it until afterwards, which really upset me. This brought out all my feelings of worthlessness and I just couldn't bear being there.

My department make large quantities of lower priced goods, while the other department make small quantities of of higher-priced goods, and the other workers look down their noses at what I do. They often make comments about my goods being cheap, and it really hurts me. I want to have pride in my work, but how can I when i'm made to feel like what I do is worthless? I've asked my boss why he keeps my department running, and that i'd much rather work in the other dept., but he insists he wants to keep mine running with me running it.

The thing is, i've had a really rough last few months, and if it wasn't for some of the people at work I don't think i'd be here now. The only reason I go to work is so I can be around these people for 8 hours a day, rather than be alone all the time; i've not really got any interest in the job itself anymore, when at one time I really put all my time and effort into it.

Wish me luck, i've got to do it all again tomorrow :( I hope it goes better than it did today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
People are stupid. That's how I explain someone (or a bunch of people) not including you in a meeting you needed to be at. Some people are just really stupid. And if they're not stupid, but instead are passive-aggressive, manipulative, and mean-spirited, well, acting that way is stupid too, so they really are stupid after all.

Good luck tomorrow.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
lastofthekews- It sounds just awful.- I hope in time when everything is more settled,you'll feel more comfortable.- There's a tendency for people to feel threatened by anyone new-when they get to know you better things are bound to get easier for you. I wish you luck!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I would make sure to tell the people who missed you in the meeting that you need to be told. That could get them in trouble. :yes

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, it was a better day today. I just kept my head down and got on with my work. One of the people in the meeting tried asking me not to blame her for not being in the meeting, but, as we do get on with each other I just said that I didn't want to talk about it apart from to say that all five who were in the meeting knew I should have been there so she could have said something about my absence, but she didn't. I told her I didn't want to discuss it further as I didn't want to fall out with her.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Thanks all, it was a better day today. I just kept my head down and got on with my work. One of the people in the meeting tried asking me not to blame her for not being in the meeting, but, as we do get on with each other I just said that I didn't want to talk about it apart from to say that all five who were in the meeting knew I should have been there so she could have said something about my absence, but she didn't. I told her I didn't want to discuss it further as I didn't want to fall out with her.
I would remember it just in case. If it continues, then management must be notified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts