Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the holidays so much. When you are not close with family this is what it boils down to. Ugh. I feel a little disgusted with myself. I have friday off as well so the chance of me not leaving the apartment until monday is fairly high.

·
Registered
867 Posts
the holidays are for social people. i just eat what i normally eat and do what i normally do on holidays. hey atleast i save money.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i probably rather have something to do today also but since i don't i just try to ignore the holiday and treat it like a regular day.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That subject line made me lol. I'm at work; otherwise, I'd be tippin the bottle of hard liquor to my lips right now as well.
Drinking eases the pain and makes the time go by faster.

i probably rather have something to do today also but since i don't i just try to ignore the holiday and treat it like a regular day.
I think I could do this if there wasn't a constant reminder. When you are out in public people are having fun with their family and friends. At work coworkers keep pestering you about what you did over the weekend.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only winter holiday I enjoy is nye because it's socially acceptable to get drunk as possible. If you go to a bar on thanksgiving or on christmas it's pathetic but on nye it's normal.

·
Virgin who can't drive.
146 Posts
I'm not close to my family either. They are downstairs bonding over a Thanksgiving dinner while I am upstairs alone in my room. Today is just another day for me. Nothing special. I pig out everyday anyways so today is no different. People do act super crazy + materialistic around the holidays so I don't want to be out in that mess anyways. I just want the holidays to be over and done with already.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Drinking eases the pain and makes the time go by faster.

I think I could do this if there wasn't a constant reminder. When you are out in public people are having fun with their family and friends. At work coworkers keep pestering you about what you did over the weekend.
James, looks like you're down to the home stretch, less than an hour away and it's over. I'm also not going to work tomorrow. Actually, I plan to work from home tomorrow since nobody will be in the office. I have many weekends where I had no place to go, I don't have family or friends around here. My activities are limited to the gym, reading at a coffee shop, or going to the movies by myself. Today I planned to do the same routine, except I forgot the gym closed early and the stores were closed. I did stop by the movie theater, but the only movie that wasn't targeted towards kids and teens was J. Edgar, and it sure looked boring in the commercials. In retrospect, I should have gone to watch the movie anyway since only die hard loners would go to such lengths as watch J. Edgar to forget about Thanksgiving for a couple of hours, maybe such loners wouldn't make me feel so alone. People at work also asked me what I was going to do this Thanksgiving. I told them my family lived many hours away and I had already met my quota for visiting them this year, then I laugh it off and for the most part they don't question any further or are confused why I didn't have a more melancholy disposition. I'd rather be honest, but at the same time I don't want to solicit any sympathy, or be a downer to others at these times of the year.

Also, I had a turkey and swiss sandwich. It's a holiday sandwich.

If you do decide to get out of that apartment and try hanging out at a coffee shop this weekend or tomorrow, I recommend The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. It's less than a hundred pages long and was a good read. Should be easy to find at the local library, no need to waste precious whiskey money on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts