Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that scared the crap out of me. I'm trying to find a new job over here in this podunk town and I'm not having much luck besides the temp agency where I get laid off every two months. So anyways, I read some stuff this morning about prejudice in the hiring process for most companies. Like they will not hire someone if they deem them "too fat", "too smart", or "too pretty". Reading these have made me even more nervous about finding work than before. Part of me is very upset that not just some people, but many people will make negative judgements based on someones appearance and not their qualifications or how well they do during the interview. It makes me feel like I will always be an outsider, and that life is really no different after high school. :afr

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some people get paid to get articles. There's usually not much to write about that is new. So much of these "zomg scary truths" articles are bunk.

There are people out there who are too judgmental, but there are some who are decent human beings. Good luck!

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi Spitfire Jane,
First of all thank you for your courage to speak out! Job interviews are highly anxiety-provoking. For those with social anxiety disorder (SAD), interviews can be especially difficult.
First impressions do mean a lot. But remember, a confident entrance, a smile, and positive energy can leave more of a positive impression, and outweigh many prejudices a person may have. You sound like someone who would naturally know to dress appropriately for the interview and be well groomed, but did you know that they will sense your level of optimism vs. pessimism about getting the job? Try to give the impression that you already like them and they will automatically and unconsciously start to feel comfortable with you, like you're the kind of person they'll want to work around.

Once you adopt this mindset you will show confidence and you will regain the feeling of control. Good luck with your job search! You can find out more about us at **spam site deleted**

·
Severed member
2,972 Posts
^^^ What an odd first post. Spam?

Anyway, Jane the above is right on one major point and that is confidence. Dont go in there wondering if you'll get the job. Go in there knowing you'll get it and tell them what you will do while youre working. They like to ask little 'what if' type questions to judge your character and ethic. I know I know, easier said than done but try to 'put on your best show' because you are selling a product, and that is yourself. Make them want to buy you.

Creepy sounding anaolgy but of course I dont mean it that way, but you might have luck if you try that approach. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts