Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,745 Posts
Ha ha. I don't know.

It seems like we're doomed to KNOW that we're out there, but never meet each other. I would LOVE to have friends with SA, but you can't find them because you're hiding and they're hiding and...blah.

· immortal in the making
927 Posts
i've actually been thinking the same thing for a while!! and i'm still thinking of a solution.
the only one i've got so far, is free pie. free pie? yeah!! everybody loves free pie! (i didnt just rip off south park, i swear).
now i know someone else is thinking a similar thing, i'll try to think harder. any ideas, and i'll be back!!

· Little Winged One
7,014 Posts
Oh,I know what you mean!! I'd love,love,love,to have actual human beings to do things with-wierd alien/people-just like me. It's silly but I think of you guys as "my people",it gets frustrating knowing you guys are out there but our paths only cross on the computer screen.

· immortal in the making
927 Posts
It's silly but I think of you guys as "my people"
almost like we are "brothers" and "sisters" or secret underground gang members plotting to take over the world?
i actually refered to some people on here to some colleagues at work as "my peeps on forum" (but i dont tell them what the forum is called or anything to give our secret meeting place away ;))

· Little Winged One
7,014 Posts
solitarymonkey-I am pleased with your obvious intelligence! You shall be favored with a position of supreme importance in our new world order. Continue with your mission-and remember we are always observing you!

· Banned
749 Posts
It would be great to have more friends that accept us for who we are. People that are easy to "hang out" with.

Unfortunately they are hard to find, and "few and far between".

· Registered
5 Posts
I think real life in person anxiety/depression clubs would be excellent. I've also dreamt of such a thing but put it into the too hard basket like everyone else, however, really do believe that it would be hugely beneficial to us folk. I'm at the stage where i rarely go out on friday and sat nights now, and when I do I dread it and hardly talk to anyone except my closest friends (who I'm sure can see I've got some kind of problem but just don't talk about it...which is how I like it cause there's really nothing they can do anyway). I don't want to take over the world but do want to live some kind of life. I do want to improve and hopefully accelerate instead of deteriorate for the remainder of my life but feel that this would only be possible with the company and support of similar people. I believe that hanging out with confident people would be a positive only at the advanced stages of such a recovery, whereas exposure to them at the moment makes me much worse instead. These forums are a good start but real life contact (and bucket loads of it) would be bloody excellent!

· Registered
10 Posts
people to people

i have thought about this exact thing for a long time now. that is why i posted a thread regarding a conference about SA. Maybe we should do some kind of planning with our local SA support groups and hold a local and or international conference that way we can meet others and also learn more about SA. what do you all think?

· (.*?)
10,189 Posts
I'd join your club-hating club, but then I'd end up quiting quickly in protest.

seriously, how does one get around the paradox of meeting people who...don't want to meet people? Or are afraid to meet people or something. I feel like an unconventional method is needed to target those people who fly under the radar, and those are the people I want to meet. I guess that's sort of why I'm here, posting on this forum, but what about people who don't even do that much?
Really, the internet is your only chance. Socially inactive types sometimes socialize a bit online and you can catch us that way. If somebody doesn't socialize online at all either, the only way you're going to meet them is if you take up burglary.

I think real life in person anxiety/depression clubs would be excellent.
There are lots of anxiety meetup groups and the like. In my experience though, the people who come to them tend to be the people who have significant social lives (but are suffering greatly in them).

Maybe we should do some kind of planning with our local SA support groups and hold a local and or international conference that way we can meet others and also learn more about SA. what do you all think?
Who's going to do the speaking at this conference? Not me.

· Registered
112 Posts
I agree with Hoth. You can't find them if they don't want to be found.
I think most isolated people will try to reach out at some stage (i hope) because we are not a naturally solitary species but we have to wait for them to make some effort, even if it's something tiny like signing up. I just really hope that the other socially anxious loners out there eventually join this site...

· Registered
126 Posts
I was just thinking of how it'd be nice to meet other people like me, but how I don't know how to go about doing it. I got this idea from a former friend of mine who I was sort of in love with when he said to me, "You know, I'm not that great. There are lots of other guys like me out there." And I was like, "Well, where are they?" and he said "They're all sitting at home, depressed, playing video games." I once had this idea to start "the club for people who don't like clubs". It was sort of a joke, but seriously, how does one get around the paradox of meeting people who...don't want to meet people? Or are afraid to meet people or something. I feel like an unconventional method is needed to target those people who fly under the radar, and those are the people I want to meet. I guess that's sort of why I'm here, posting on this forum, but what about people who don't even do that much?

I don't know, man. I want to get people excited about things. I guess this is kind of a silly/strange question, but any feedback would be appreciated.
i sign up to this forum a few days ago and today i was wondering the same thing. how a person who wishes to meet more people and perhaps become their friends goes about meeting those people if they feel unable to go through the process. personally and like another person mentioned its all in the effort, in the reaching out part, in the steps (big or small), where one realizes I can probably do this, I can do this, just have to do it again, and again, like practicing. i'm trying to do that slowly but trying ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.