Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an angry person. I just have a really hard time smiling. I don't like the way people react to me and I'm almost positive it is because I don't have an easy going expression on my face. For example, I want nothing more than to smile at people and look them in the eyes when I talk to them, but it's almost like my face is frozen. I was talking to some girl today, but couldn't keep my cool and just relax and smile at her. I have a hard time smiling even at my friends at some times. I'm pretty sure it's anxiety related. Could it be related to benzo withdrawal?

Another thing is, I can't stop smiling when I'm drunk. It's almost like whatever it is that keeps my from smiling is gone after a few drinks. People react soo much better to me when I'm under the influence.

I'm not sure if this is common among us?

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I have a hard time not smiling when I'm talking to a cute girl.
Same here, but only when it's a cute guy. :b

But yeah, I don't smile unless I'm trying to do it. Otherwise, I go to my neutral face, which people say either looks kind of pissed off or really sad.
I won't say I have a heard time smiling, but it won't happen unless I'm thinking about it and actively trying to smile.

·
Registered
760 Posts
totally agree x 100

ppl say to me i should smile more, it makes me smile less. i can only smile when someone else does. im not one to randomly just smile first, it makes me feel weird and comes across as a fake one

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'm always told to smile more. My neutral face apparently looks scared or depressed, so I don't think I look very approachable and warm. I just have a really hard time smiling even when I'm trying. Awhile back I was taking a picture, and I thought I had a very clear smile plastered on my face, and when I looked at the picture ten seconds later, I looked miserable. It's very odd.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I'm always told to smile more. My neutral face apparently looks scared or depressed, so I don't think I look very approachable and warm. I just have a really hard time smiling even when I'm trying. Awhile back I was taking a picture, and I thought I had a very clear smile plastered on my face, and when I looked at the picture ten seconds later, I looked miserable. It's very odd.
Same thing happens to me. I'll take a picture and I'm so sure that I'm smiling or at least looking pleasant, but when I look at the pic, I look bothered or depressed.
I have to put on one of those really big hilarious feeling smiles to make it look like an actual smile, but then that looks silly, so I don't try anymore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can completely understand since there have been times where I feel like I have no control over my facial muscles, which can get embarrassing when you try to smile...and it just makes you look even more nervous. 0_0 I'm really trying to force myself to start smiling since I'm hoping that by smiling more I could balance out the "stuck-up" vibe that I might give off from being shy and quiet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:D I smile too much. I look like a dork when doing it. I catch myself and try notto, so I think about Nuns walking dead puppies. :shock

·
Registered
749 Posts
I cannot smile to. I only have a fake smile, that cost very much energy. And I hope that the other persons are stopping with laughing so I can stop to.
I know it sound ridicules.

Question for you all, do you make sound when you smile? , like Ha ha HA ha HA :)

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I have days like this where somethings bothering me or whatever. I just can't fake a smile. Why? I can tell when someone is faking - like sales associates and some of the employees at places like disneyland. My cousin worked at a classy supermarket and calls them 'stupid smiles.' I agree. I don't like fake smiles, I think you are better off not smiling if you don't feel like it.

·
Bigg Slapp
226 Posts
smiling does take extra useless energy in an awkward way.

then i don't know when i'm supposed to stop smiling.

and when i stop does it become uncomfortable for the other person.

it's wierd.

and i try to smile with my eyebrows, but nobody really buys that. so then i think that they think that i'm being a smart a** and now i don't know what face to make, so turn to the right and press a button on my device so it makes a noise and pretend i'm text messeging until the nightmare ends.

and wait for the sunset.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was i had a 360 degree camera following me for a day in public to see how i look, my facial expressions and how i react to certain situations. At the moment i feel like i'm not in control of my actions :um

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was always told by everyone, my parents mostly, that I never smile, and even mocked me for it. Day in day out, I would be called "misery guts" in an over-patronising fashion by my parents, and this never helped me smile more.

I still don't smile much. What am I suppose to do.....walk around with a dumb-*** grin on my face all the time?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have this problem as well. One of the things that helps me is practice smiling with your eyes or you can practice nodding and lifting your eyebrows which comes off friendly and helps build rapport. Another thing that helps is doing a slight smile, just turn up the corners of your mouth a tiny bit and its amazing how much it alters your demeanor as well as your mood. The right side of my mouth frowns a bit naturally so thats the side I lift up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
haha..this the opposite of my thread.
for me it's so easy to smile, when i talk normally, they thought im smiling, but im not, even im not happy either.
if you want to smile, not just think, but imagine and feel the happy thoughts or fantasies, well, that makes me laugh alone and look crazy.. hahaha. i know you can control it unlike mine.
well, excessive smiling can make you look foolish :(
how i wish i can look serious so i would be taken seriously.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts