Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone..

Just spent the past half hour googling social anxiety, always wanted to be able to talk to people who 'get it'. So so happy I have found this forum. I have searched many times before without any luck.. so its about time. :boogie

My names Nikki and I have been dealing with severe social anxiety and depression for the past 7 years. Growing up I was always anxious in social situations, even as young as 6, so ive never really known any different. I was bullied all through my highschool years, both physically and verbally. This was what triggered my social anxiety to go from something I could handle to something that had complete control over me. I've spoken to many psychologists, Ive tried CBT, Ive tried a number of antidepressants and found that none of it worked for me. That was all a more temporary fix to my situation.. Id feel really good for a couple of months and then fall back into the deep dark pit of social anxiety.

My family and friends have always been extremely supportive, however they do not understand what it feels like to suffer from social anxiety and for that reason its not always easy for me to talk to them about it. Recently I have started catching a bus and train to get to uni (instead of driving there because its cheaper) and when I told my family how proud of myself I was and how excited I was that I could now do it.. I got the 'ahh heaps of people catch public transport, whats the big deal'. Gah! Hence, that is why I tend to keep how Im feeling to myself and is usually why people think Im improving when really Im still struggling with my anxiety, day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute.

I look forward to getting to know some of you and share experiences, advice etc.

Comforting to know im not alone! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Totally understand. My SA is mild at this point in my life. My wife is as supportive but is an extroverted in situations where I am most introverted. I told her about this site, largely so she'd understand why I'm online so much. Don't know if she has lurked here at all. Did not tell her my username. I realize that she may figure out who I am here if she searches enough, but she's not like that. It's ok if she finds me here. I realize this idea is not practical for all.

Anyway, welcome.
Street Owl

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Nikki, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to SAS. I found that the people here are very friendly and supportive. I'm sure you'll feel like home here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone :)
Its definately nice finally finding a place full of people who know exactly how I feel.. hard spending so much of my life, hiding my fears, pretending im okay and not feeling like I have anyone who I can be completely open with.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Lisa :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rockit! Def looking forward to getting to know people on here :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, AlwaysMistaken! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Millennium :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I was very excited when I could finally step on a bus too! xD It was a huge accomplishment and my friends and family never understood why I was afraid to use public transport. But whatever I did it for myself not for them :) Good to hear you've made some progress too. Still a long way to go but keep up the good work :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi and welcome!

I was very excited when I could finally step on a bus too! xD It was a huge accomplishment and my friends and family never understood why I was afraid to use public transport. But whatever I did it for myself not for them :) Good to hear you've made some progress too. Still a long way to go but keep up the good work :D
Yay someone who also shares my excitement in finally being able to use public transport. :) Definately a huge accomplishment! :clap

Hello and welcome
Thank you :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congrats

congrats, im also new and i know how its like to have dificulty talking about things and sorta getting a lacked response for something to me thats a miestone. goin to uni is a big accomplishment too and i hope to be able to do it one day. if you need to talk about things sometime or need support in your time of need dont hesistate to give me a messege :).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
congrats, im also new and i know how its like to have dificulty talking about things and sorta getting a lacked response for something to me thats a miestone. goin to uni is a big accomplishment too and i hope to be able to do it one day. if you need to talk about things sometime or need support in your time of need dont hesistate to give me a messege :).
Thanks Jyder :)
I go to uni.. held off for a number of years because of my anxiety but litterally forced myself to go this year. So glad I did it, some days are still tough but Ive made some great friends who are aware of my anxiety and make it easier for me. Hope you're finally able to go to uni one day, just gotta believe in yourself and know that even if its hard to do it you'll be grateful that you did. Exposing yourself to enviroments that arent comfortable for you can actually help with anxiety, well thats what Ive noticed. Will def send you a message. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.