Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really my problem. Alot my anxiety symptoms would disappear if I wasn't so easily offended. Why do people get offended? Just one little comment gets me going.

I just finished washing my hands and was air drying them (like shaking them in the air and wiping them on my shirt). Then my sister gives her boyfriend a funny look. So my Mom says something like "why are your hands wet?" and I told her, "because I just washed my hands." Then my sister chimes in ,"why wouldn't you just use a towel " and I sware to god I wanted to just kick her right in her stupid ****ing face right there. I told her "why do you always look at me like that?" I then shut everyone out the rest of the dinner and now I'm in my room while everyone else seems to be having a great time down stairs.

This exact pattern of behaviour has been happening since I was like 5 or so.

Anyway it's good I'm going to my tharapist on the 4th. I'm going to get her perspective on this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hm.. that would really piss me off if that happened to me, so maybe I have that problem too lol

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
I'm easily offended as well. I think the reason that I'm easily offended is because I was bullied a lot as well as judged so whenever someone says something I don't like to me now, I snap. Were you ever picked on or do you have judgmental family members? Like your sister for example.. Has she always irked you or something? Sorry for all the questions. Don't know much about you so I'm just trying to help from my experience from being easily offended.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't have any reason why that would be the case. Maybe it's a social anxiety thing in general? People are concerned with how people view them so when another person makes a silly comment, it's seen as offense. That's just a guess though.

However, being able to laugh at yourself is a key to improving. Instead of taking offense, try and go along with it in a friendly way. It'll help with friends and people will see you as a kind person. I think going around and being able to laugh at yourself is important. Try to do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts