Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The entire premise of this topic is kind of hilarious but I'm actually serious.

I mean... I'm kind of stuck in my own world. And that world is basically go to class, come home, computer until I go to bed, with eating and some studying in between. I don't do anything. From what I've seen, a lot of the people on this site don't do a whole lot either, but I'm sure some of you have found ways to have fun without being around people and without being in your room... Please do share.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
The entire premise of this topic is kind of hilarious but I'm actually serious.

I mean... I'm kind of stuck in my own world. And that world is basically go to class, come home, computer until I go to bed, with eating and some studying in between. I don't do anything. From what I've seen, a lot of the people on this site don't do a whole lot either, but I'm sure some of you have found ways to have fun without being around people and without being in your room... Please do share.
i go to the library sometimes... or i just walk around in stores. i actually do have friends, but hanging out with them makes my anxiety increase, so i don't do that often. i go to coffee shops and sit by myself and read sometimes.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Sometimes. I leave the house if I have some kind of mission I need to accomplish. But I don't like to leave the house if I don't have something planned.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
I've been getting stir crazy as of late and have been trying to find a excuse (or mission) to go somewhere.

Trying to find a book that i'd want to read so id have a reason to go to barnes and noble but i know ill end up not reading it. Do too much reading for school I cant get the gumption to do more reading for fun

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmm, i used to, but not lately. I do have strong urges to go out and do something enjoyable with family mostly, and if i do go out i usually go to see a movie or go out to eat. but yeah thats mostly it because im too damn scared to hang out with friends:(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Fire up the bike and kick everyone's *** on the road. 0-60 in under 5 sec ftw

And its a solitary sport too, esp when everyone else eats your exhaust :3

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
But I don't like to leave the house if I don't have something planned.
I don't either. I need a good reason to go out, a "mission" as you put it.

I'm not sure about "ways to have fun without being around people" because if you venture out... you're bound to encounter people. Unless you mean doing things by yourself.

I go to the mall. And...that's about all I do by myself (and I wouldn't even call it 'fun'.. I just do it to get out). I don't really do anything else.

·
Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
if it's not for work or school, I rarely leave my house. For instance, I had Tuesdays off from school and work this semester as a 'study' day and more often than not the highlight of my Tuesday would be walking to Subway for lunch (if I got out at all)

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I like to go and ride my bicycle, play some ball, hit the gym and attend yoga class. I want to start blading soon, get some aggressive inlines and learn how to do some crazy ****. I also hang out with my boys, but they usually come hang at my place. I haven't gone out anywhere in a couple of weeks, I'm feeling dead inside.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I go to the beach and hiking alone, which isn't a good thing for a woman to do safety wise, but, hey, I refuse to live my life in a cage.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i go to concerts, sometimes alone, sometimes with a friend. (tomorrow i am going alone to see acid mothers temple).

i'll go to coffee shops occasionally, to sit and read/write/listen to music or just think.

i used to enjoy going and looking through libraries. don't do that much (though at the time it was mostly because i was skipping school, haha).

i like going for walks, sometimes through paths near a ravine or just wandering.

i like shopping at CD/record stores.

there are a lot of enjoyable activities you could go out and do on your own. (i can certainly understand if you have anxiety doing any of these. over time mine diminished once i gradually put myself in those situations)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hang out at the library, and have done this for several years. When the weekend approaches, I actually look forward to staying inside. Living in Florida and near the beach especially with this weather being so nice isn't enough for me to go outside. I just don't feel like going out to the neighborhood pool like most everyone else does. As long as I feel as crappy as I do, I won't go outside.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No, but sometimes I wish I had somewhere to go, or to go with. We just moved here not that long ago (even though we lived here for 4 years previously) I still don't have any friends, and even when people try, I tend to push them away. I don't mean to, it's just that they always want to go 'out' and I am not a 'going out' person.

Because of this, there really isn't anything for me to do. I don't see much purpose to going anywhere unless I need groceries or a new library book (which, even then, I take out online, so all I have to do is pick it up and go home, lol). I don't know what to do at home either though- I tend to wander around my house with no real purpose. Life sucks right now...

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I am fine going out alone without any anxiety issues, unless of course I see somebody (like an old friend or acquaintence) and I am forced to make small talk as I shift uncomfortably from side to side.

I used to have an old friend I enjoyed hanging out with, and we'd often just kick it at Gloria Jeans or go see a movie at the local mall or something, but since we've gone our seperate ways, I've been going there by myself just for headspace.

In my last year of senior high (2008 ) I used to skip classes and head to the library just so I could pick up random books off the shelf and read. I can't tell you how much farcical nonsense my brain is filled with from those days. I probably should've been studying for my exams though, lol.

Other activities I enjoy alone are travelling on a train, walking aimlessly, shopping for random things (mostly just music, metal shirts, and other tit bits) or stargazing if it's a clear enough night.

As others have mentioned here, there are heaps of nice things you can do alone without feeling as though you shouldn't be. 8)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Absolutely nothing. I dont know what to do, or where there is to go.

Nothing really appeals to me when it comes to "going out".

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
i don't leave the house unless i go running. and that's not so nice now that summer's coming and people are everywhere...
i would love to be able to do something just to get out of the house, but where i live there's absolutely nowhere i could go.

what i would really like to do is just take walks by myself in the evening, but i can't do that because i always feel watched by the neighbours... unless i'm jogging i don't feel like i'm "allowed" to go outside, i guess.

·
Hiding behind the sofa
255 Posts
I go to school and sometimes even meet with friends after school or on the weekend, however this might happen once a week, or maybe even not at all. If I do go out, it's to stock up on supplies so I can remain inside. I'm not at all sure what people see in the 'real world', what's there to do? Maybe it had more to offer I'd be out more. I've no school this week, nor the one passed, and I've been out three times, I might have to shop tomorrow and I'm going out again on Friday, but really without things like school that I have to go to; I really don't do a lot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I leave the house to have fun, but never in the usual sense which is to go to a bar, or club or party. Usually I just go out to eat or shop, take a walk or something. Occasionally I like to visit museums or gardens, and watch plays, which aren't too expensive. I can do these things by myself, but I usually try to find someone to go with, even if it's just family. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time at home on the computer, too, or reading.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts