Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so depressed. I've just been sitting around crying all weekend. I feel so lonely and unloved and I don't even feel like living anymore. I started my third year of uni and it just reminds me of how I still haven't met hardly anyone. It breaks my heart to go to school everyday and see people hanging out or hear people talking with their friends in class or around campus. I feel so inadequate... and I'm sure it's mostly my own fault because I can't expect others to go out of their way to talk to someone who looks grumpy and is unapproachable (surely the vibe I give off).

I don't have anyone in my life and without relationships life seems meaningless to me. I don't want to continue on in this existance. I can't even find motivation to dry my hair or clean my room... I'm just sitting and crying and periodically watching tv to try to occupy my mind. I've set up an appointment with my doctor to get back on antidepressants, but I feel like they are a temporary band-aid solution just like they have always been. I was in therapy before for social anxiety. I'm debating therapy again but I really don't have the money for it.

I don't know what to do about my life. I just feel time slipping away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.... I surely went through the same thing years ago.....

On days when I was so depressed, I would force myself to do little things even without feeling upbeat about it. I would focus on one hour at a time. I would also try to find little things that I would enjoy hour by hour.

I also started believing in God and believing that it didn't matter if I didn't have what others had (friends, relationships) I'm a good person who is placed on this earth for a purpose.

I think for us, people with SAS, we get depressed because we see what others have that we don't have, friends. Then, we feel inferior because of it and when we interact with other people, we feel that we are not good enough to have friends. It's a freaking cycle that is so hard to break.

It's taking me years and years to learn to be ok with myself, regardless if I have friends or no friends.

·
Emerging from Shell
5 Posts
When I'm overcome with despair, I try to remember that it's a mood and it will pass. While your there, it truly seems hopeless.

It's important that you discover and address the root cause; SSRI's are only going to make it more tolerable.

Does the university have some free counseling? It may not be top quality but you'll be getting some feedback and feeling less alone.

There's evidence that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is more effective than antidepressants in combating depression. You could start with David Burns "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy". I spent a lot of time with self help books and research on the web. But I found a good CBT therapist recently and have had more success. Finding a good therapist that you can afford is hard work but probably the best place to focus your energy.

Let the mood pass and gather your resources to get the help you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts