Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got diagnosed today.

Seroquel for me, no more antidepressants! Cuz "Anti psychotics" sounds so much more normal right??

Sigh.

I just hope this is it. That this is the thing (or the treatment rather) that will make me feel BETTER!

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Congrats on being diagnosed. I am sure you will start to feel better with the proper meds. I am diagnosed bi polar II, and I am on several meds. I am on Geodon, Paxil, Adderall, and Klonopin.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I'm Bipolar type II, I was diagnosed when I was 17. I was on Zyprexa for years, but because of the weight gain, I went off it 6 months ago. I'm now on Risperdal, which is working great. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hope this one works out or you, so you don't have to keep switching.
I know someone affected by bi-polar, but I don't think I have it personally.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am REALLY worried about weight gain. As someone with major body issues and a history of eating disorders, this just has me freaking out! I am seriously considering asking for some sort of appetite suppressant to take with this to counteract the possible weight gain.

Antidepressants haven't done a thing for me though, so clearly something else had to be done. Celexa made me crazy, but I wasn't in care of a pdoc when I hypomania happened, so I finally got a new doc and told him everything that happened. I only really understood it and got help because my sister in law is bipolar, so talking to her she made me see that I should mention it.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I'm actually losing weight on the Risperdal. Another good one is Abilify, because you gain nothing on that med, it's been proven. You might not be able to tolerate it, though - I had so many other side effects that I couldn't stay on it.

All meds work differently. Some people gain weight on Risperdal, I lose weight. Zyprexa is the only bipolar med (that I know of) that causes weight gain all across the board.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I'm probably bipolar2 but I don't take meds for it.

·
Just me.
63 Posts
Half my family is bipolar. I probably am too, but haven't had the courage yet to get diagnosed.

You must be a strong person. :)

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i have bipolar II. my father and brother also have bipolar disorder. fun stuff :p

anyway, i am on seroquel and lamictal. they both have worked well, they greatly reduced the frequencies and severities of my episodes (from severe/long and 5 times a year, to mild/short and a couple times a year).

the seroquel is also good for getting me in a deep sleep for at least 8 hours a night, before taking that med regularly it had been several years since i've had a good night's sleep on a consistant basis. really makes a big different. the sedation is very strong to warn you, make sure that you can be in bed right after you take it (i've fainted before on it) and that you give yourself a bit of extra time waking up as you may still feel drowsy in the morning.

i have the same worry as you in terms of weight gain. i have a lot of body image issues so if i were to gain al ot of weight it would be a huge trigger for me, evne though i am already thin to begin with. luckily i haven't gained a pound (in fact i lost 10 when i was hospitalized, too depressed to eat). i've heard the worst med for weight gain is risperdal and i plan on avoiding that med for that reason.

feel free to ask away if you are wondering about anything else at all, and the best of luck with treatment! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this would be med induced for me- I don't recall ever having a mania episode, other than the stuff that happened this past summer which is what got me diagnosed. It was nothing major like hearing voices, but it was a whole lot of NOT me (woke up one morning and cut off all my hair (butt length up to chin!), then went on vacation to visit my parents and just decided when i was there to break up with my husband, all the while hooking up with some guy who was 8 years younger than I am (he was 20, I am 28 ). Moved out, got an apartment- managed to keep it SPOTLESS which is always impossible for me, but yet I could eat off the floor it was so clean. Got a tongue ring exactly 4 hours after deciding that would be fun. Got a new credit card and maxed it out within weeks. Drank- a lot. And I rarely drink.

Normally I am your typical socially anxious person. I like to be at home. I don't do much. So yeah- NOT ME! After all that I got depressed again, house was a dump, I was broke, but got back together with my husband and moved back to where we had been living before I went nuts.

However, I can't help but feel like maybe I am just trying to excuse myself for bad behaviour or something? Maybe I am not bipolar at all. I don't know.

Anyone else worry about that after diagnosis?

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I had some really bad manic episodes in my teens, causing me to act irrationally and do a bunch of things I wouldn't have done normally. That lead to me being diagnosed as Bipolar; before that, everyone was saying different things other than Bipolar.

Mania is when you feel speeded up and like you can't do anything wrong. Kind of like a high, except when you crash down into the reverse, which is depression. If you think you have Bipolar, you really should get it checked out. I felt so much better when I got on medication.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you think you have Bipolar, you really should get it checked out. I felt so much better when I got on medication.
I have already been diagnosed.. but with hypomania, and just one epi of it which we suspect was due to the celexa I was on. I detailed what happened above.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've thought I have bipolar for along time but am not diagnosed.
I'm depressed most the time but on occasion I'll suddenly feel Great like I could walk through a wall or do almost anything.
I haven't done anything really out of character other than dance around & be social as all my social anxieties are suddenly gone and it feels Wonderful.
When I'm down I think people that mess with me really shouldn't.
because on these manic type occasions all those memories of who what when where are still there & I occasionally think about whooping some ***.
I've never acted on it but some folks seem they can't help but tempt fate.
I feel like the energizer bunny on speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts