Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem for a few years i guess, but it's somewhat out of my control... i find it hard to talk to people without smiling, unless it's really serious and adversely affects me and i 'hear' what they are saying but i don't take it in. Some days i am fine, other days i won't go into shops etc because i can't bare to feel stupid or have someone think i am weird, whether they think this or not. Sometimes i hope i feel slightly angry so it changes my attitude at the time, so i can seem more 'normal'.

Living in a small town sucks, there is no anonimity and people have their opinions on everybody else already, i am afraid that people are going to think i'm a bit of a weird one, and actually i'm surprised i haven't had people say something already.

·
Recluse
835 Posts
That's not necessarily a bad thing! I've never heard anyone talk about somebody smiling too much, they probably see you as friendly :)

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I get this for various reasons. I have read that many with social anxiety smile in this way. I've also read that smiling in this way is thought to be a submissive gesture often done by those who perceive themselves to have lower social group status.

·
Recluse
835 Posts
I've also read that smiling in this way is thought to be a submissive gesture often done by those who perceive themselves to have lower social group status.
Really? I never knew that. I kind of have the opposite problem, I look miserable all the time (probably because I am :roll) and random people have to me to "cheer up"...

·
Registered
5 Posts
i smile alot when im uncomfortable and cant think of anything to say, hoping that they may help me out if i smile. some warm to me because of it, others think im a right nutcase. but overall i think its a good thing, try not to worry about it. (i know, easier said than done) people love a nice smile.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could be a nervous habit. I tend to smile automatically, no matter who it is.

Here's a tip from a Leil Lowndes book

Tip #1
Don't flash an immediate smile when you greet someone, as though anyone who walked into your line of sight would be the beneficiary. Instead, look at the other person's face for a second. Pause. Soak in their persona. Then let a big, warm, responsive smile flood over your face and overflow into your eyes. It will engulf the recipient like a warm wave. The split-second delay convinces people your flooding smile is genuine and only for them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I smile too much too..I often get comments like "you're so smiley". lol But I've never heard anyone say "you smile too much"..I don't think it's a problem..its nice to see people happy (or atleast pretending hehe). The only problem for me is that whenever I get home from somewhere, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much...:(

·
Registered
449 Posts
I do the same thing, sometimes when its inappropriate. I feel like i do it to ward off any questions about my mood- smile and i always seem happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers for the input people, of course it's always better to smile than frown. But i guess i'm frowning on the inside, it's not just that, it's also i get upset because it's a nervous reaction that i can't control and i feel stupid and slightly helpless because of it. someone could ask me something serious, someone i don't know.. and i'd still probably smile, although i am trying to understand their cause. This is a problem. Having said that, it's great to have a place such as this website, because we can discuss out issues in clear light. Nobody is perfect, but we can sometime convince ourselves that we're the only one's having problems, but in reality we've all got our smiley things going on.

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
i smile alot when im uncomfortable and cant think of anything to say, hoping that they may help me out if i smile. some warm to me because of it, others think im a right nutcase. but overall i think its a good thing, try not to worry about it. (i know, easier said than done) people love a nice smile.
I'm the same. I also smile when i don't know what's going on and have that deer in the headlights look. I also laugh randomly when nobody else thinks something is funny.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I hate smiling, it hurts after awhile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude I know the feel... I used to be so cool but all of a sudden I became all smiley. Annoying. I'm trying to work on my neutral face and keeping calm during conversation, also focusing carefully on what the other person is saying. This makes u look pretty badass and this will make u look more natural since u would only smile if u are actually happy or if you find something funny :) just try and relax ure body and face (y)

·
Registered
327 Posts
i hate this i smile about everything, its cus i crave social interaction so much taht as soon as i get any it makes me happy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts