Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you do this?

I almost always smile/grin when someone is talking to me. I can't help myself, it happens automatically. Just wondered whether anyone else experiences this (and can find an explanation for it?)

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I don't smile hardly ever, let alone at inappropriate times.
I have had people stop doing what they are doing to try and get me to smile. Now, that's bad.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I frequently can't help smiling out of nervousness. Laughing, too, and one thing I really hate about that is that I will frequently sort of laugh when someone else does something that would embarrass me if I did it, because I feel nervous/embarrassed seeing myself in their place. I'm afraid it just seems like I am laughing at them . . .

·
Registered
928 Posts
I do it constantly and when I someone says something that I really shouldnt smile at, I have to tell myself.. stop smiling!
Im sick of people saying when I say that I think I smile too much.. 'oh but you have a nice smile' 'your very approachable with your smile'..
Argh, I hate it. I dont know why I do it. I always feel like my face and my emotion are not connected... and sometimes it hurts to smile..

Oh and whenever I make eye contact with people. I smile. But I think it comes across as an invitation to have a conversation, when really I just trying to cover my nervousness.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I usually find myself stuggling not to smile when I am feeling uncomfortable. This often happens when people tell me serious news, e.g. my friend recently split up with her boyfriend and I had a dumb grin on my face while she was telling me! Very difficult to control, and not very appropriate. Has anyone seen the Coupling episode about the Giggle Loop? =D

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, you're not alone in that. when i became aware of this i tried a tip of just mirroring the other person's expression, though many times i seem to still have that habit of smiling in those situations.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Yeah, I first noticed this in elementary school - I would get this huge grin for no good reason around people, and I couldn't stop it. The cool kids would say disdainfully, why do you smile so much? I struggled to stop doing it and get control of my face. When I got depressed in high school due to SA, it was actually a relief to be able to have a dour expression around people. After that I slowly gained more control over my expressions over the years.

As for the cause, I'm not sure, but it might be due to my dad being overcontrolling and always getting mad at people and making fun of my mom. I think I was really afraid of him, and smiling at people is the instinctual way to say "I'm not a threat to you!". Also my mom craved approval and affection and smiling gave her that, so it was probably reinforced a lot.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
god damit i do this too. I think its just the bodys natural reaction to fear. smirking is the bodys way of telling the other person everything is fine.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Oh, that reminds me - in junior high, I was at a birthday party of a friend - one of his presents was a puppy. It somehow escaped, and eventually someone found it down at the end of the street, runover by a car. Someone asked what happened, and I told them with this huge grin on my face. Inside I was like, wtf am I smiling for? I think it was because it was this big news that I got to tell somebody.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Oh, that reminds me - in junior high, I was at a birthday party of a friend - one of his presents was a puppy. It somehow escaped, and eventually someone found it down at the end of the street, runover by a car. Someone asked what happened, and I told them with this huge grin on my face. Inside I was like, wtf am I smiling for? I think it was because it was this big news that I got to tell somebody.
:eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
yes,and people would notice and ask me what was funny and then just make up there mind that I'm just weird.Some people knew that I was emberrist(jeez,I can't spell) and would point it out to me or someone else which ofcourse ends badly for me.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I have this problem, too. I'm always smiling, grinning, or laughing uncontrollably for no reason at all. It's so weird not being able to keep a straight face when there's not even anything to have to keep a straight face about. And it's pretty much impossible to explain to people:

"What are you smiling about?"
"Nothing."
"No, come on, tell me."
"Nothing."
"You're hiding something! What is it?"
"Nothing, seriously, nothing!"
[Etc. etc. etc. Obviously, the more I keep saying "nothing" while continuing to grin, the more suspicious the other person gets.]

God, I've had that same basic conversation more times than I care to remember. People must think I'm so weird. And, well, I guess they'd be right. But it would at least be nice if they thought I was weird for the correct reason--i.e., weird because I have a random grinning problem, not weird because I hide and conceal things.

·
"Individual lil ditty"
46 Posts
:) D0 it all the time!! F0r me I w0uld guess because I'm unc0mf0rtable and rather than actually listening and enj0ying a c0nversati0n I will be thinking 0f what I must l00k like t0 the 0ther pers0n 0r s0und like and all th0se 0ther negative th0ughts. I really am w0rking 0n retraining my mind t0 just be...... Y0u kn0w just be me and thr0w 0ut these c0mpulsive th0ughts 0f my 0wn fears!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I definitely notice sometimes.. "Wait why am I smiling right now?" I also laugh A LOOOT and its starting to bother me because my roommate is mirroring my mannerisms. I notice that she adds unnecessary laughter in when she talks now, and its like.exactly what I do. So now I'm trying to be more aware of it, cause its pretty annoying. Not to be mean, but it is distracting...

Ahhhh nervous laughter...me hates it

·
Registered
13 Posts
I definitely notice sometimes.. "Wait why am I smiling right now?" I also laugh A LOOOT and its starting to bother me because my roommate is mirroring my mannerisms. I notice that she adds unnecessary laughter in when she talks now, and its like.exactly what I do. So now I'm trying to be more aware of it, cause its pretty annoying. Not to be mean, but it is distracting...

Ahhhh nervous laughter...me hates it
is it mocking or is she coping you because she s somehow impressed by your personality?

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes that happens to me when something big and unexpectable happens.

in everyday situations I am trying to smile when i m talking with a stranger to cover my embarassment and give out good wibe but I cant control my facial expressions and it comes out weird and nervous and convivces them even more that I m a creepy little woman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts