Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's no wonder I don't have that many friends: I don't carry a smartphone on me. I never had one, and I still refuse to buy it. To realize that much of today's communications involve texting on cell phones just pisses me off to no end.

Sorry, but I don't have it in me to become a part of this backwards, unsocial society. I live my life the same way I lived it 10 years ago, and as a result not much has changed. I hate being around other people and seeing them take out their "fancy" phones in the middle of a conversation (it's incredibly rude).

Why does society place so much unwarranted importance in a cheap-yet-expensive piece of plastic which will have to be upgraded or replaced within a year or two?

It's beyond my grasp as to how people can allow this crap to run their lives -- what happened to the days when a simple phone call or (better yet) a visit paid to one's door could get things over with? I don't like texting because I am sensitive about making spelling and grammar mistakes -- I REFUSE to start "tpying liek dis lol, o ur so gramer nasi".:mum

Anyway, I just wanted to get this out of my chest. It's just something I can't understand this generation. Worst of all is that I am in my early twenties; because of my age I am "expected" to have these crappy, overpriced drops of turds with me anywhere I go. All I have is a basic cell phone which does everything that is needed in case I need to get a hold of someone. That's it, and nothing else to complicate my social life.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It depends on how one uses it, I believe. When used in inappropriate times, it becomes something negative obviously.
Yes, some people go the antisocial way by instead facing their phones instead of the people they're with at hand. I've experienced that first hand countless times. It forces me to do the same.

When I write a text message, I don't use abbreviations or whatever other people do. It can really dumb down society, doesn't it?

But having a smartphone can be productive, too, like for work and school. I can access my emails without having to load up my notebook. I can save quick reminders and notes. I can make calendar events and appointments. Plus it can make communication with my friends (who are always on FB, for example) easy.

·
Banned
733 Posts
I hate being around other people and seeing them take out their "fancy" phones in the middle of a conversation (it's incredibly rude).
I completely agree. My friends do this all the time. When They're on their phone and I ask them a question, it goes completely ignored until like five minutes later when they're done texting or whatever. Stuck in that super awkward silence feels like an eternity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to admit i have a smartphone and it comes in handy when keeping in contact with friends and things but i never get it out when im in the middle of a conversation as that's very rude! but i think they're great if used properly

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I have no need for a cell phone of any kind. Not even a dumb phone.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's no wonder I don't have that many friends: I don't carry a smartphone on me. I never had one, and I still refuse to buy it. To realize that much of today's communications involve texting on cell phones just pisses me off to no end.

Sorry, but I don't have it in me to become a part of this backwards, unsocial society. I live my life the same way I lived it 10 years ago, and as a result not much has changed. I hate being around other people and seeing them take out their "fancy" phones in the middle of a conversation (it's incredibly rude).

Why does society place so much unwarranted importance in a cheap-yet-expensive piece of plastic which will have to be upgraded or replaced within a year or two?

It's beyond my grasp as to how people can allow this crap to run their lives -- what happened to the days when a simple phone call or (better yet) a visit paid to one's door could get things over with? I don't like texting because I am sensitive about making spelling and grammar mistakes -- I REFUSE to start "tpying liek dis lol, o ur so gramer nasi".:mum

Anyway, I just wanted to get this out of my chest. It's just something I can't understand this generation. Worst of all is that I am in my early twenties; because of my age I am "expected" to have these crappy, overpriced drops of turds with me anywhere I go. All I have is a basic cell phone which does everything that is needed in case I need to get a hold of someone. That's it, and nothing else to complicate my social life.
I don't get it either. And I'm still trying to figure out why people NEED facebook to keep up with their friends and family.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
And I'm still trying to figure out why people NEED facebook to keep up with their friends and family.
Same. I get the sinking feeling that actual communication is being considered increasingly unnecessary nowadays. Far easier to just post a status update rather than get in touch with somebody. :sigh

·
Registered
901 Posts

"smartphones suck because I dont have one" lol no but seriously, not everyone uses it like those prancing fairies with their eyes and fingers constantly glued to it. I like smartphone because of the fact games are free, books are free, and music is also free. Giving me a universal platform for all of those. And other media of course. While adult films are such a small percentage of it, that it isnt even worth mentioning.

·
still searching...
938 Posts
Smartphones without friends is a computer without internet

But having an S3 it can be used for:

-Phone
-Flashlight
-Camera
-GPS
-Personal Agenda
-News/weather channel (widget)
-An Xbox (1 GB of RAM and Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9)
-Radio
- Smart Stay eye tracking
- Dropbox (50 GB storage MAX)
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
- SNS integration
- MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263 player
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC player
- Organizer
- Image/video editor
- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,
YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration
- Voice memo/dial/commands
- Converts languages for easy translation
- There is a mic
- Graphing Calculator
- Scientific Calculator
- MUSIC
- Timer and clock (which never fails you)
-Email
- Angry Birds
- Books
- Skyri
- Detect music and tells you what song it is (soundhound)

Face it smartphones are the BEST THINGS INVENTED IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND

·
Bleep blorp blop bip boop
3,947 Posts
Haha. I have 2 smartphones and no friends. I still love having them though. :D

One of them is my work iPhone and work pays for it all. So...why not.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like smartphone because of the fact games are free, books are free, and music is also free. Giving me a universal platform for all of those. And other media of course. While adult films are such a small percentage of it, that it isnt even worth mentioning.
Speaking for myself only, a physical music collection will always be better than a hard drive/phone/iPod filled with MP3s. I'm a collector at heart, and love the charm of physical media. As for games, I don't have that many -- so I just emulate them on my PC when I'm at home and feel like gaming. I am usually at home anyway, so the need for a smartphone is totally nonexistent.

So unless you don't have access to a computer, I don't feel quite convinced to drop $400 or more on a gadget that will have to keep getting replaced every 365 days. That's just me, though. My way may not work for you, but I don't see much of a use for them. I would rather use all that money on other things that will make me happier.

The problem is that with all its features they DO get addicting -- and considering the fact I have a problem managing my Internet time that would only make it worse for me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Speaking for myself only, a physical music collection will always be better than a hard drive/phone/iPod filled with MP3s. I'm a collector at heart, and love the charm of physical media. As for games, I don't have that many -- so I just emulate them on my PC when I'm at home and feel like gaming. I am usually at home anyway, so the need for a smartphone is totally nonexistent.

So unless you don't have access to a computer, I don't feel quite convinced to drop $400 or more on a gadget that will have to keep getting replaced every 365 days. That's just me, though. My way may not work for you, but I don't see much of a use for them. I would rather use all that money on other things that will make me happier.

The problem is that with all its features they DO get addicting -- and considering the fact I have a problem managing my Internet time that would only make it worse for me.
Yea the physical hard copies of music is better in many ways like playing it in your car for example. And I emulate gba on my phone also but its not as good as a regular gba system.

Yea there is definitely negative effects of smartphones like addiction. People get addicted to facebook easier that way. I just use it as a portable device to do things i already do and its just easier that way but i get where you are coming from.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,377 Posts
I don't even have a phone lol, it broke seven months ago and because all my contact is online or in real life face to face now I have no real need for it, or didn't. I'll be buying one soon though as I need a phone to start applying for jobs and since I eventually want to be living in Japan for a while, I'll need a phone that works there and you need very specific phones to be able to get them to work over there.

I prefer texting to calling, never enjoyed calling maybe because of some long, awful phone calls I had to deal with in my teenage and older childhood years. It's quicker and easier most of the time to send someone a text, and if you know there busy then you can just send it so they can read it later.

I think there are some occasions where people are just rude about using their phones but I don't think that begrudging all young (and older) people their phones makes sense I mean, each to their own. I bet there's a ton of stuff that every generation finds annoying about the previous generation.

Lol at some of the posts in this thread... It's a stupid thing to argue over.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
i have an old nokia qwerty smartphone, have enough credits with att to update to a new android or iphone, but don't see the point. I can text on my current, and browse the internet just fine.

I went to vegas like 3 years ago, i remember feeling so weird when i was standing with a group and everyone busted out their droids and iphones, whereas i just had an old nokia lol.
But yeah, totally irritating when im hanging out with a friend and he's on his phone the entire time multitasking. I understand if im kicking it for a long time, but if im only hanging out for like 30 minutes, it is kind of irritating.

What really, really annoys me though is when im watching a movie with a friend, and they're on their phone the entire time either texting or facebooking. It's very, very annoying. More of a reason why i hate facebook.

Pretty soon, everybody is going to have their own little bubbles around them, with a tv in the bubble, and all socialization will occur through technology.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts