Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else sleep a lot to deal with stress and anxiety? Yesterday I think I slept 12 hours or more, not so much out of tiredness but I just felt like I needed a break so to speak from all my troubles; sometimes I just hate being conscious. I feel like a lazy good-for-nothing bum when I do this, but I usually end up feeling better afterwards, so maybe it's good for me, I don't know. I wish I didn't feel the need to sleep so much because I could get so much more done if I didn't, lol.

·
alien monk
8,432 Posts
I've been sleeping a lot ever since I lost my job. I don't really have anything to get up for, and yeah I'm a little stressed about things.

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
I do this sometimes. A few days ago I went to sleep at about 7pm and woke up at 8am-ish. On some days when I have nothing important to do, I'll just sleep as long as possible until I can't possibly fall asleep again.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Re: re: sleeping too much?

seenhell said:
I slept close to 20 hours straight a few days ago.
damnnnnnn lol

i think when i broke down and first dropped out of college 8-9 years back i slept for 2 days straight on my couch...my family was really worried about me, i was too

I felt so pint up with emotion i wanted to escape it there for awhile and I did...so embarrassed about dropping out, felt like my life was over, wish I had my older self now to put my hand on my shoulder and go its okay man its okay...its never too late to try again

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also sleep a lot when I am stressed or anxious. I don't feel bad about it, like I used to. I find getting extra sleep when I need it keeps me healthy and makes me feel better.

·
Registered
48 Posts

angelika said:
I also sleep a lot when I am stressed or anxious. I don't feel bad about it, like I used to. I find getting extra sleep when I need it keeps me healthy and makes me feel better.
I've started to take 40min power naps on days where I feel really tired and notice I feel much better afterwards.

I think I feel best/less anxious/depressed etc immediately after i wake up and gradually feel worse throughout the day. THe only time my sleeping bothers me is if I wake up when it's starting to become dark outside (though really I only feel this way because I'm pressured by family to be awake during the day time)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I sleep a lot because I like to. Not because of stress or anxiety. If I am stressed, I can't sleep. I work swing shift as well, so that could be another reason why a sleep alot with so much time in my day.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Yes, I sleep a little too much as well but what is worse is that I have no regular sleep pattern. I work in the evening so I'm often up late and get up around 11:00, which is horrible. But sometimes I'll fall asleep watching TV around 12:00, wake up around 6:00 a.m. and go back to sleep. I can't get into any kind of rhythm. It makes me feel horrible.

·
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫&
80 Posts
I've started to take 40min power naps on days where I feel really tired and notice I feel much better afterwards.
I think this is a really helpful thing to do to make you feel physically and emotionally better. When i have 8 hours sleep in a night, i feel really tired and in a bad mood when i wake up, but when i have a little sleep in the middle of the day (if i've got time!), i usually feel really refreshed and wide awake afterwards.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Halcyon said:
seenhell said:
I slept close to 20 hours straight a few days ago.
damnnnnnn lol

i think when i broke down and first dropped out of college 8-9 years back i slept for 2 days straight on my couch...my family was really worried about me, i was too

I felt so pint up with emotion i wanted to escape it there for awhile and I did...so embarrassed about dropping out, felt like my life was over, wish I had my older self now to put my hand on my shoulder and go its okay man its okay...its never too late to try again
Same thing happened to me. i'm also 27 and I actually been in and out of school 3 times because of my SA. I'm currently on my fourth attempt.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
i get about 6 hours of sleep a day. i get mad at myself if i sleep more than 8 hours or if i dont get up at a certain hour, no matter how much sleep i had.i think thats part of my OCD

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I feel best/less anxious/depressed etc immediately after i wake up and gradually feel worse throughout the day.
- Me too; I guess because right after I wake up, my worries haven't had a chance to catch up with me yet, and I feel pretty good; I wish it lasted longer though.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I also feel a little better immediately after I wake up, especially if I've been sad before I go to bed. I've heard that dreams are the method by which the mind works out problems. So it's possible that after you dream you naturally feel better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts