Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that anxiety can cause sleeping problems. But I've had a really strange problem for probably the past couple of months. Almost every night, I "wake up" around 1 or 2am, look at the clock, nearly panic, thinking it's late in the afternoon and stumble around the house until I finally realize it's not time to go to work. I say "wake up" because it's almost as if I'm sleep walking.

I don't have this problem on the week-ends, so it must be related to anxiety about not getting up on time. But, the weird thing is, my job isn't super strict about me coming in at a certain time. I try to relax before I go to bed and I tell myself that there's no need to worry about getting up. I have two alarm clocks set- one electric, one battery operated in case of a power outage. Man- it sounds like I'm obsessive. But, honestly, I don't feel overly concerned about it normally. It's just my sleeping self seems to be obsessed with waking me up prematurely.

I used to just get this once in awhile when I had something important to get up for. Now, it's almost every week day. I do really want to do well at my current job, so that may have to do with it. But- it's really weird. I'm starting to fear for my sanity...ha. Anyone else have simliar problems?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn...I was really hoping someone could relate. I guess it is kind of weird. :sigh

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used to have problems with waking up several times during the night. The only thing that helped was a quarter dose of Sominex (half of one pill).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once in a while I'll have a month or two where I do nothing but sleep...
But I usually only sleep 1-4 hours a night. (for instance, tonight I slept for almost exactly one hour)

Don't think that's exactly what you're looking for, but hey, at least that means you're not the weirdest person in this thread! ;)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
crazyg said:
Damn...I was really hoping someone could relate. I guess it is kind of weird. :sigh
Actually, I don't think this is weird at all. At times, when I was working days (hated it with a passion...), on occasion, I'd wake up around midnight-1 am in a panic because I thought I had overslept. More than a few times, I actually got up, started getting ready to go to work, letting the dog out, feeding the cats... things like that but when I looked at the clock, I'd see that I had about 3 more hours before I needed to get up.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I very rarely wake up to my alarm ringing. I almost always wake up a few minutes beforehand so that I can turn it off before it goes off. That's really common.

I've never done the sort of sleep-walking you describe though.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I very rarely have any problem sleeping. Overall I sleep great.

I remember waking up a few times when I worked grave not knowing if it was day or night or if I was supposed to work or not...waking up in a panic....I know what you mean about that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses! It does help to know some of you have experienced something similar at some point. Annie- your experience sounds really similar to mine. I just wish I could go back to only having it once in awhile.

I used to sleep through the night no problem. Though, like Adam, I'd usually wake up right before the alarm clock. Even if I would set the alarm clock for a different time, I'd used to be able to wake up right before it went off. Weird. It's like suddenly my internal clock is messed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts