Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In college I would have this same nightmare every night that a black figure would charge across my bedroom and leap on top of me on my bed and hold me down. I have done research and apparently this is called sleep paralysis?? Anyone else experience anything like this?

·
Depressed
156 Posts
I experience this frequently. I don't see anything standing on top of me but I have breathing difficulties and I'm quite aware that I'm not really dreaming. I noticed it is most likely to happen when you are lying on your back.

·
metamorphosis
7,002 Posts
Sometimes I wake up from a nightmare and can't move or open my eyes. My eyes get really heavy and I struggle to stay awake. Sometimes I fall back asleep and right back into the nightmare. Ugh. >.<

·
Registered
206 Posts
I get this fairly often. I have never seen anyone/anything though. At first it was really scary, but then I looked it up and now it's just an annoyance. Just vaguely unpleasant.
I would agree that it happens when I'm lying on my back.
When It happens to me, I'm 'with it' enough to try and call out so someone can see it happening, but nothing comes out. Everything is paralysed except my breathing.

·
Artest, Christian, Trans
377 Posts
I never had black figures hold me down but when I was a kid I would have these instances where I would be awake just enough to be aware of my surroundings but not enough to control my body... it was weird.

I did see a talk show once where they were talking about Sleep Paralysis though. The lady on the show said the black figure was caused by people who could leave their bodies while asleep and that the black figure was your spirit trying to get back into your body.... O_O yeah don't know if I believe it myself but thought I'd mention it encase you're into that stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have experienced this and have seen and felt a ghostly dark figure on but not always holding me down. I thought I was being taken over by a demonic force. I think this happens when we are slowly waking up but not fully, thus, we are somewhat aware but cannot move. I think it is normal.

·
La loca
135 Posts
This used to happen to me very often when I used to take a nap right after having lunch, seems like there is an explanation why the mind "awakes" right before the body does if there's for example digestion process happening, well... seemed logic to me because since I stopped napping it ended, kinda miss those dreams and feelings but, nope, I wouldn't change it for a good night sleep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts