Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, recently I have bouts of sleep paralysis and really vivid dreams/nightmares. I happen to suffer from frequent sleep paralysis when i'm under some sort of stress and a few days ago, I've also been tearing up for no reason and having instrusive suicidal thoughts.

Imagine after having waking up to an unfinished REM dream and finding yourself paralyse and having to keep your heavy eyelid awake and at the same time, wiggling your toes to get a response from your body to wake up.

During these times, my brain would be having hallucinations like in one instance, a girl of my appearance (except she was much beautiful) was sitting in a deserted canteen area on a bench and she was minding her own business when she suddenly turned around and smiled at me, it was only an innocent smile but something in my brain tells me it was creepy and terrifying and I start to get internal goosebumps while I kept struggling to get myself out from the paralysis. And I do sometimes experience breathing difficulty.

After the whole ordeal, I would not be able to get back to sleep again and this in turn tires me for anything that I have to do the next day. This has put a strain not only for my precious sleep, but also my performance for the next day.

Does anyone suffer from this condition frequently and any success stories?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I had some sleep paralysis once... can't say that I cared for it. I also have really vivid dreams, but I don't mind those as much since they aren't nightmares.

As for the curing the sleep paralysis, I think it's a sleep deprivation thing, which seems to be stress related in your case. It's amazing the goofy things stress can do to our body.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Sleep paralysis, and even nightmares, at least in my case, almost always end up as largely positive experiences. Have you ever heard of lucid dreaming? If you often have have vivid nightmares and/or experience sleep paralysis on a daily basis, then lucid dreaming can very well solve your problems. With practice, you can train your mind to recognize the nightmare while you are asleep, at which point you become mentally conscious in your deep sleep, where you can then control the dream according to your will. If you experience sleep paralysis, it can be a very frightening experience, especially with some of the things that you can see out there while you are experiencing it, but the important thing is not to fight it, no matter how freaky it seems or how much of a "danger sense" you get. Nothing can happen while you are experiencing sleep paralysis, except that if you calm your mind long enough and don't fight it, you will shortly enter a dream while mentally conscious (although I must warn you that forcing your mind to remain mentally conscious while falling fully asleep into a dream is a very frightening experience the first time), at which point you can control it according to your will.

Experiencing a lucid dream is a bit like The Matrix, I must say. You don't really know what it's like until you experience one, but I can tell you that it's certainly an awesome experience. You can take the proverbial blue pill and just go on with your dream or wake up from your sleep paralysis, or you can take the red, and go down the rabbit hole into the awesome world of lucid dreaming.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oh my god I love lucid dreams. I've only had a few and usually wake up as soon as I realize I'm dreaming but I have been trying to have more.. I read somewhere that Lucid Dreaming can actually help with SA.. You can dream of a situation that makes you uncomfortable or anxious, like a speech you have to give out, or talking to someone you find intimidating.. You can rehearse it in your dream and when the time comes, you will be prepared for it.. Oh and yes it also helps out with nightmares too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts