Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys:boogie
i'm in a long distance relationship or at least at the very first baby steps of it and my guy wants to skype me for quite awhile now and i've always told him i have no camera nor mic, which is true tbh but the fact is that i'm actually pretty nervous about talking to him, i'm afraid my voice will start shaking, i wont find things to say and that he'll find me boring, its hard for me to bring out my personality sometimes especially with people i'm talking to on the very first time.
i also find him very attractive so i get even more intimidate by people i fancy and i'm afraid he wont like me after he'll hear me and see me on live motion.
i do really wanna talk to him but i dont know how to start the first conversation, i'm over thinking how things need to go, what is the first thing i'm going to say to him? what if i'll run out of things to talk about?
when i'm really comfortable i can handle finding topics, but i need to get into that comfortable position first i'm afraid my body will betray me and i'll be so nervous and stiff and that result in me being very closed.
also, my native language isn't english and i dont know if i'll be able to keep up and realy get my point across when i'm talking and if ill talk clear enough.
he also has no idea i have this social anxiety thing and he's one of those really social, extroverted popular guys too so he's probably have never even came across with that issue and wouldn't understand what i'm talking about, i dont want him looking at me differently too.
someone has an idea what i shall do? i dont want to lose him but if we wont actually talk it'll go nowhere and he'll start being suspicious...

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
it's going to be a little awkward but just roll with it. also you dont have to have a 2 hour video conversation once it starts. if you feel too stressed, just close the video chat for a bit. It'll get a lot easier after a few times and become a normal thing for you.

good luck :)

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
This is totally okay and completely normal so you must to beat yourself up for feeling these nerves and concerns. Taking it in gradual steps is the best way to ease into it and if you have not already told him about your worries then it might not be a bad idea to do so and even though he is outgoing he should be understanding of it being nerve racking initially and help to make the process easier. My advice would be to maybe just start with him talking and you typing with your both on camera and do that until you feel a little more confident. From there you can transition into talking on mic and typing so you can have small bursts of talking to ease into it that way or perhaps you go off camera and just talk on mic. Work out what you feel most at ease with when you do it because I find the anticipation is worse than the reality with these things.

Enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts