Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In between classes, I pretend like I am texting friends just so people think I am busy and think I actually have friends I talk to (I would really be texting people if I had friends, but I dont). Am I the only one that has stooped to the level of fake text messaging? people with SA do the darndest things.

·
Banned
374 Posts
nope, i do it sometimes at work if I'm sitting around and everyone is ignoring me (which is usually the case). i also do it if I'm waiting somewhere in public so I don't look too weird. the truth is though, i don't really have anyone to text LOL

so.. welcome to the club :) *hands over gift basket*

·
Registered
153 Posts
i dont do it but its to the point where its like "why do i even have a cell phone" and to think i was planning on buying a new one lol tho i really do need a new one

·
Banned
374 Posts
but its to the point where its like "why do i even have a cell phone" and to think i was planning on buying a new one lol tho i really do need a new one
likewise, mine is basically used for communication between myself and work. i send maybe a few texts a month lol. i also looked at new phones (i have a 2 year old nokia, which works fine btw), heaven forbid i even looked at the new iphone. then i decided that i'll drop dead long before i ever spend $1000 on a phone i basically would never use :roll

·
Registered
153 Posts
yeah im not talkin to very many ppl at all right now, i have a friend but she's with some guy 10 years older than her and she's 18, i hate hearing about him so i have kept my distance because she would call all the time and if i let her know how i feel about it the whole time, i will push her away so im just going to keep a bit of a distance until im involved with someone so i wont care as much

since being around women is considerably easier in the last few months, shouldnt take long

·
Registered
439 Posts
i dont do it but its to the point where its like "why do i even have a cell phone" and to think i was planning on buying a new one lol tho i really do need a new one
Same here. I still have a moto razr.. The first gen, LOL.

I might have pretended to text someone once or twice before to avoid looking at someone I didn't want to say 'hi' to probably.

I ended my cell phone plan not too long ago, and I was surprised how out of touch I was with everyone.

·
Banned
374 Posts
yeah im not talkin to very many ppl at all right now, i have a friend but she's with some guy 10 years older than her and she's 18,
bah don't you just hate that crap? what is with women and dating men who are so much older? that's seen as fine by society, but i bet an 18 year old male dating a 28 year old female would be frowned upon by almost everyone. what a joke.
maybe when im 30 girls will notice me... NOT LIKELY :D

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
No i don't fake text. The thing i hate is when i recieve a message and i think ''Yeah great!''...Then i open it and it's from Vodafone telling me about a ''great'' offer they have...Just when i thought someone cared :-(

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
No i don't fake text. The thing i hate is when i recieve a message and i think ''Yeah great!''...Then i open it and it's from Vodafone telling me about a ''great'' offer they have...Just when i thought someone cared :-(
lol I hate that too! Cool, another human being sent me a txt.... No! Just an automated message letting me know my prepay plan is about to expire :blank.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
Hehe, I get the same thing, Verizon always sends me information and I get excited. I have actually been texting more, just out of trying to stay hip. I know my daughter blows her phone up she uses it so much. You guys should text each other for support. I was in the doc's office a few days ago and started to get really freaked out by this crazy kid staring at me running around. So I texted a few people about him and it make me feel better. Although I got some weird responses on how to scare him off. :sus

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bejeweled, Bubble Buster..you guys got the good stuff. Half the time I'm just playing the ****ty bowling demo that came with my phone. :p

·
Registered
375 Posts
I definately play with my phone while I'm waiting for class to start. It probably makes me look like I'm not interested in talking to anyone.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I have never done this.

Over the past 2 years I have sent precisely 8 texts, and held less calls. I never use my phone...even when I had friends I communicated with them primarily by IM/Email.

·
beech plees
1,290 Posts
I've had a love-hate affair with text messaging. I first started using text extensively in second year high school when Nokia first started becoming widely used here...I guess that was in 1994-95 (damn...that feels so long ago). It's an established and integral part of our culture and most of Asia and it's practically impossible not to use it. Banks, stores/malls, your dentist, your hairdresser/salon will all ask for your mobile number so they can contact you if you're using their services. I'm stubborn and tend to buck prevailing trends...it's very common here to resort to using text/playing with your phone when you're by yourself in public, most people appear to have a fear of looking alone and friendless in our society - so I make a point of not doing it (though I do prefer being texted to being called if it's a stranger). Mining of #s is a common thing for marketers, so practically the only texts I get are from my family members and offers from various banks etc. Sad.

I also need a new phone, but I hate the prevailing attitude here that everyone has to have the newest model.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I'm just standing around waiting for a class with no-one to talk to I will play around with the mobile phone, but not necessarily texting. It is not terribly exciting since it is a very old model of phone, with just basic phone calls and SMS and little else, but I can't justify a new mobile phone if I rarely use it. I only do it because I am either being ignored, or there is no-one to approach since everyone seems to be locked into conversation with other people, so I do it to stave off anxiety from being the "odd one out".

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
lol...I've been known to play with my phone in order to "look busy" if I don't want to be bothered in a particular situation.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No but I find myself texting the most random people when I'm desperate. And this is why you all need email and internet on your phone, then you can really have something to look at. It's what I do lol

I've also wondered why I have a phone though, I use it to call exactly two people: mom and fiance. My best friend randomly texts me but not on a regular basis or anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts