Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rediculous fear that somehow my psychologist will look at this forum (and another I post on), read some stuff and work out that I am Supreme Mugwump! I don't know why that is such a horrible thought - it's not like posting here is a bad thing. I don't understand it. Anyone else worried about this?

·
wondering
65 Posts
I had the same thought, not about the therapist, more like someone from my work or similar to that. I think it's like a irrational fear that if someone finds out it "proves" that I'm weird. I fought it back a little, with thoughts like...I deserve to feel better and I know this is helping and....if someone found out and tried to make fun of me, well they're wrong and not me, who are they to know what I need, they've got plenty of problems of their own that they need to work on. But since you are seeing a therapist, hopefully you can get to the point that whatever you would say on here, you could tell them. I haven't been to a therapist yet, but I think I will need an adjustment period until I can flat out say things in person.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered being nervous about friends reading my posts, for about one second. Then I rationalized and thought that if they were here reading posts, then they'd have SA too and dismissed any negative thoughts.

In fact, I don't care if people know I have SA. To me it's like them knowing I am a male, and have dark hair. I am not embarassed of my SA, I don't like it, it disrupts my life the way I want my life to be, but it's real and a part of me. I'm not embarassed about it or others knowing, the same way someone in a wheelchair wouldn't be embarassed about that.
Yeah you make a good point about other people having SA if they are looking on this site and seeing your posts. It works for friends, but not psychologists unfortunately. I don't mind people knowing I have SA either. It's pretty obvious, and it's just me. I just don't outright tell people about it cos it makes me anxious to do so. But I don't know why I have this fear about the psychologist - it would seem more reasonable to be worried about friends looking but I'm not.

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
Is your psychologist the type that goes on disorder websites to look around and give advice? Look at it this way. Even if he/she did see your posts and found out it was you, then it would really only work to your benefit because then he could get a better picture of what you're really like, so that means he could help you better.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your psychologist the type that goes on disorder websites to look around and give advice? Look at it this way. Even if he/she did see your posts and found out it was you, then it would really only work to your benefit because then he could get a better picture of what you're really like, so that means he could help you better.
Also a good point... I think she probably wouldn't be toddling around giving out advice in her spare time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.