Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meditate on my own from time to time, but lately, I've really become enamored with the idea of going to the middle of nowhere and basing my existence on nothing but meditation for a length of time.

Well, I've recently fallen into a nearly constant state of ennui. I have been feeling very empty lately, like I am lacking something. I can't take feeling like this all the time, I need something to shock my system. I really feel like I need to find my position in my life. Well, I found something like what I've been thinking about, and this and it is a donation based vipassana meditation retreat that lasts 10 days. Basically, you are not allowed to speak, in exception to speaking to the head master during certain times. I don't think you are even allowed to bring any outside influences, like books. It is meditation nearly all day, for 10 days.

Here is their website:
http://www.mahavana.dhamma.org/

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'm usually suspicious of religious retreats, but I actually got a good impression of them from their site. As it seems like pretty straightforward Buddhist meditation (nothing really weird or New Agey) and they don't require a payment, I think it sounds pretty cool. I'd probably go myself now, if it weren't for the fact I live thousands of miles away, can't afford a plane ticket and don't get any vacation days.

I love the idea. My only real concern is that you're feeling bored and "empty" and that you're on an SA forum. I'm kind of afraid that your problem might be that you're lonely, and so ten days of not talking might not be exactly what you need. Maybe you're not - and hey, maybe it is what you need. Maybe you'll hit enlightenment never suffer again. But I think it's something to consider.

·
Banned
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, persona. In case you weren't aware, I believe they hold these retreats all over the world :)

And I totally agree with you on that as well...I feel like it could either go very well or make my situation worse. I was hoping through extreme isolation and constant meditation that I'd rediscover the real me,and learn to appreciate myself a bit more thus combating the loneliness I experience. The empty feeling might also be a vacuum waiting to be filled by an insightful meditation discovery, who knows.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I meditate on my own from time to time, but lately, I've really become enamored with the idea of going to the middle of nowhere and basing my existence on nothing but meditation for a length of time.

Well, I've recently fallen into a nearly constant state of ennui. I have been feeling very empty lately, like I am lacking something. I can't take feeling like this all the time, I need something to shock my system. I really feel like I need to find my position in my life. Well, I found something like what I've been thinking about, and this and it is a donation based vipassana meditation retreat that lasts 10 days. Basically, you are not allowed to speak, in exception to speaking to the head master during certain times. I don't think you are even allowed to bring any outside influences, like books. It is meditation nearly all day, for 10 days.

Here is their website:
http://www.mahavana.dhamma.org/

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?
I think a good website, that you'll love and you'll learn a lot about meditation and spirituality. Everything. A lot of intelligent people. It is called spiritualforums.com. Here is a link:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
I kind of htought about doing this sort of thing at one stage a while back. I can't see how it could be a bad thing. I guess it just depends what you think is the best choice of action.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've been dying to go to this same program (different location) for a while now. Just waiting for a time that fits my schedule. I've heard only amazing things about it. It's supposed to increase your ability to be aware of, and control your (otherwise) automatic thoughts. These same thoughts perpetuate anxiety.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes, go for it!

I've done a number of retreats, and most of them have been amazing. I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle the long (often painful) hours of seated meditation and the reduced sleep, but I just did what the teacher said, and got good results the very first time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been thinking about this alot aswell, but have yet to find a place that I like and that's tempting, but I'd love to spend some months living in a monestary or something like that, away from the modern world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts