Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origins

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I asked about Final Fantasy, so I figure I'll let my 2nd favorite series get some glory as well :lol
What's your favorite out of the SH series and why?
I have played 1-4 all the way and a little of Origins and Homecoming....So freaking excited about the remake of 1 to come soon titled Shattered Memories. Anyway, my favorite is between 1 and 3....I love 2, but it went slightly away from the story and although greatly deepened the characters, it didn't explain a lot about the town or why it was happening. 1 was the first I played and I loved the story. The graphics were shaky, but it kinda made it creepier :afr 3 is the scarriest imo....the Haunted House scared the hell out of me and the part in the subway where you almost get run over, it had tons of psycholgical jump out of your seat moments!!!! 4 was very cool in that it was innovative. The concept of being stuck on your room and how they pulled it all together was cool :yes and Henry was hot!!!! I absolutely hated the ghost with a passion though. That was my biggest problem with it. 5 was cool as much as I got to play it which was like up until the hotel area. I loved the beginning....so crazy! The battle system made it less thrilling to me though :/ I want more psychological scares rather than battles in SH. Stupid nurses were ten times harder to kill than other games, but idk, if I'd gotten used to it, I may have enjoyed it. Barely played Origins, so I won't say much on it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
No1 was the first I played at age 9 or something. Very scary but I liked it. Also one of my favourite game-opening cinematic.

no2 did not live up to the hype. It was okay but not as scary as the others.

no3 was kind of in the middle. Nothing too special but it was scary, and the bad guys were pretty good as usual.

no4 was in my eyes a fascinating game. The gameplay itself is painful. By the end of the game you are spending 90% of your time knocking ghosts down over and over again until they stay down so you can spike them. The story, and the whole concept of the apartment room was wicked, though. Being chained up from the inside, look through the hole to your neighbours, and warphole gradually growing bigger, and all the stuff that changes throughout the game.
In fact, by the end of the game I remember feeling safer in the "other world" because the apartment was full of ghosts and other crazies.

I voted number one because it had the easiest story to follow, was the first I played, and was the scariest for its time. It really took the whole horror series to a new level. It laid the groundwork.

Didn't care for the movie. I wish they kept the story the same, kept Harry, and kept out pyramid head (who was only in the movie as a slasher film murderer). I also really really hated the fact that they had a community of people living in silent hill, and that silent hill was a place that was abandoned for decades.

I like the idea in the game that everyone in the town disappears, while only a few people remain for no known reason. I also like the fact that it all started when Harry arrived. This makes the main character seem very important to the whole situation. In the movie, she just kind of shows up after a few decades and stumbles onto them.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no4 was in my eyes a fascinating game. The gameplay itself is painful. By the end of the game you are spending 90% of your time knocking ghosts down over and over again until they stay down so you can spike them. The story, and the whole concept of the apartment room was wicked, though. Being chained up from the inside, look through the hole to your neighbours, and warphole gradually growing bigger, and all the stuff that changes throughout the game.
In fact, by the end of the game I remember feeling safer in the "other world" because the apartment was full of ghosts and other crazies.

I voted number one because it had the easiest story to follow, was the first I played, and was the scariest for its time. It really took the whole horror series to a new level. It laid the groundwork.

Didn't care for the movie. I wish they kept the story the same, kept Harry, and kept out pyramid head (who was only in the movie as a slasher film murderer). I also really really hated the fact that they had a community of people living in silent hill, and that silent hill was a place that was abandoned for decades.

I like the idea in the game that everyone in the town disappears, while only a few people remain for no known reason. I also like the fact that it all started when Harry arrived. This makes the main character seem very important to the whole situation. In the movie, she just kind of shows up after a few decades and stumbles onto them.
:agree I can't stand the ghosts...they screwed it up imo. I love the game besides that!
That movie, let alone all video game movies really end up pissing me off....They could've used Sean Bean as the main character and as Harry. I don't understand why they have to completely change game stories almost into something unrecognizable in movies :no I also hated that they made it like Alessa was Cheryl's dark side when in the game she is birthing a demon of sorts...it made no sense :no Also, they made Dahlyia a good person. STUPIDITY!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Making the main antagonist from the video game (dahlyia) into a good person? Yeah that was pretty stupid.
The Sean Bean subplot was pretty funny because it had no effect on the story and you could have left it out completely. I think they put him in because if not the movie would contain almost all women (which apparently was alienating to male viewers or some crap).

·
I am Jack's wasted life.
376 Posts
I have actually never played a SH game. I have SH 2 and 3 sitting in my room though, haha. Are they really that good? Will I have to play them in order or what do you recommend?

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Making the main antagonist from the video game (dahlyia) into a good person? Yeah that was pretty stupid.
The Sean Bean subplot was pretty funny because it had no effect on the story and you could have left it out completely. I think they put him in because if not the movie would contain almost all women (which apparently was alienating to male viewers or some crap).
Yeah, they made Dahlyia good or seem like a victim when she was a total b***h in the game. They did keep some things and I have to say of all the video game to movies it was among the best in that respect, but if you've played the game it just makes you wanna cringe. They should do like they did with the Hulk movie and just completely redo it :yes
I heard they used a girl main character to gain sympathy votes, but I felt waaaaaay sorrier for Harry than I did for Rose...especially in 3 :( That made me so mad/sad. I'm so glad they are making another first one so Harry will be back :yes They should've also used that church leader chick for Dahlyia....Sean as Harry, no Rose, and churchy chick as Dahlyia. :yes

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have actually never played a SH game. I have SH 2 and 3 sitting in my room though, haha. Are they really that good? Will I have to play them in order or what do you recommend?
Probably start with number 2. Most people prefer that one and the graphics aren't as outdated as no1.
It's one those japanese horror universes that gets under your skin. Resident evil and AvP provide the "BOO!" factor, but silent hill is just plain creepy.

Yeah, they made Dahlyia good or seem like a victim when she was a total b***h in the game. They did keep some things and I have to say of all the video game to movies it was among the best in that respect, but if you've played the game it just makes you wanna cringe. They should do like they did with the Hulk movie and just completely redo it :yes
I heard they used a girl main character to gain sympathy votes, but I felt waaaaaay sorrier for Harry than I did for Rose...especially in 3 :( That made me so mad/sad. I'm so glad they are making another first one so Harry will be back :yes They should've also used that church leader chick for Dahlyia....Sean as Harry, no Rose, and churchy chick as Dahlyia. :yes
The smartest thing they did with the movie was take the music directly from the game.
I didnt' like the main character or Cheryl, or the main baddie, but it did capture a lot of the weirdness of Silent Hill. The "Janitor" scene was pretty well done.

·
I am Jack's wasted life.
376 Posts
I could actually play SH1 on my PSP too.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the only ones that follow in story are 1 and 3, that's partly why I like them most...so in essence, you can play 2 without playing one and you can play 4...oh, and Origins is related to 1 and 3 as well....you can play 2, 4, and 5 without playing another one. I love 1 even with "out-dated" graphics, makes it creepier to me :yes
Most people I know of prefer 2, since it's character focused more than story focused...and really sad. Plus the replay value in SH games is high due to multiple endings in some going up to 5 and quite a few are realtively short games. 3 only had 3 endings though and I think that's the least of all.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SH2. All of the others were mediocre, imo, but the second game was brilliant.
Mediocre??????? No way :no 1 was pretty enthralling and just the whole concept of 4 in itself was far from mediocre. I liked 3's creep factor the most. 2 was very great as far as character and emotion pulling strings go, I'll admit. The letter at the end does the same thing to me as FFX's ending...almost brings me to tears :( But it was a tad less scary as others and I didn't really get why James was getting called to the town. I mean with Harry it made sense, cus he had Cheryl.

The music of Silent Hill is AWESOME!!! Akira Yamaoka is great :yes I love Hometown more without the guy, Joe Romersa, singing though...and Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn is cool as well...3's definately has the best soundtrack :yes

·
I am Jack's wasted life.
376 Posts
Okay, I'm going to start 2, probably tomorrow night. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't play scary games, I only watch people play them! :afr :yes

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prepare for endless jumping down creature infested holes :lol
You're gonna enjoy it! It's pretty great :yes

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't play scary games, I only watch people play them! :afr :yes
Haha....I did that with Fatal Frame, but nobody will play it all the way through for me so I just watched the ending on youtube :lol
My sister used to watch me play Silent Hill....she doesn't game, but she enjoyed watching that :yes

·
I am Jack's wasted life.
376 Posts
I plan to play it in the dark with headphones on... we will see how long that lasts. :roll

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you'll last until a particular character with a pyramid on his head shows up.
:agree :lol
He's sooooo cool!!!! Non-spoiler version: the hotel hallway=awesomeness
Such a stalker xD

1 - 20 of 38 Posts