Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you but silence is one of the things I fear most in a conversation. I see every silence as awkward and panic anytime one comes up if I'm in a one on one conversation. I avoid being one on one with people pretty much for only this reason. If I'm talking on the phone and a silence comes up, I panic and tell the person I have to go then hang up. However, usually if it's in person I can't escape and the panic really gets at me. What are some ways you deal with silence in a conversation especially a true awkward silence if you can't think of anything to say.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would help you if I didn't have the same problem. I hate awkward silences and feel like I need to say something. It is something that always bugs me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What are some ways you deal with silence in a conversation especially a true awkward silence if you can't think of anything to say.
Silences serious don't bother me in conversation. I figure it is impossible to have a flowing conversation one-on-one for 100 per cent of the time. I will sometimes even tell the other person that silence does not bother me for that very reason. I suppose it is harder on the phone whereby the voice is the only means of communication, but in person I am definitely not bothered by it.

I prefer group situations myself because it is easier for conversation to flow, but mostly so I don't have to do a lot of the work. Sometimes it is not so easy in group conversations, though. For example, I can find myself frozen out of a group because I find it impossible to insert myself in a conversation, even when I have a lot to say. Some people can dominate conversation and not allow openings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts