Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm not sure what category to put this in. If this isn't the right one please let me know.
I was just wondering if anyone besides myself has ever thought about learning sign language and working with the deaf? I know this might sound crazy, but 99% of my problem is actually speaking (using my voice) because I'm so self-conscious about the way I sound. It just kills me to listen to my voice after it has been recorded and that's why I always use a standard greeting on my voice mail or my answering machine.
If I actually did go to school to learn sign language and become an interpreter. Would I have to speak very much in my sign language classes?

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding to my post, but I was talking about an interpreter that lets the deaf person know what the teacher is saying. And to the first responder, I'm just wondering why deaf people don't like a hearing person coming into their world. That almost seems racist to me.

I'm with you on the voice thing. I am so self conscious about that.

One of my friends just got her Associate's in ASL. She says that there is a lot of practicing sign language with partners or in front of the class. So, you probably don't have to talk a lot but you would have to interact with people a lot more than other classes.
Also, when you become an interpreter, you will also have to speak to tell the hearing person what the deaf person is saying.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.