Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Hi,
I took some sign language courses in college and we weren't supposed to speak in the class because our instructor was deaf. It's considered rude to speak if a deaf person is present. Well of course the students spoke anyway sometimes trying to hide it and sometimes just not caring. (I didn't of course.) I really loved sign language because it's so much easier than speaking. I didn't even mind getting up in front of the class using sign language. I didn't pursue it because as I learned more and got more exposure I learned that a lot of that culture didn't like hearing people entering it. So I thought I shouldn't bother. In hindsight I kinda wish I didn't let encountering that stop me.

· Registered
159 Posts
And to the first responder, I'm just wondering why deaf people don't like a hearing person coming into their world. That almost seems racist to me.
That's what I thought. I heard they didn't like being considered hard of hearing. Instead, they considered hearing a disability. (I only heard this in group interactions and public speaking. I never had a conversation about this with anyone.) Well I only had contact with groups in my area so maybe it's different in other places. I don't think it's too uncommon though. It seemed like they liked being separate from the hearing world. I still kinda wish I stuck with it because even if that's a common view there are still going to be people who don't feel that way and mixing the two worlds is often unavoidable.

· Registered
159 Posts
I thought people would say what I experienced wasn't true but I was nice/respectful. I was actually one of the few who never spoke in front of any deaf person since it's rude. That's what I experienced. Try it out and see what you encounter. I'm not saying this will be a universal experience. I still may take more ASL classes. It simply discouraged me at the time from looking at it as a career.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.