Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 20 never had a job, been sitting att home doing nothing for 2 years. Really am getting sick of it, I thnk i'm getting to the point were im just going to force myself to do something. But i have no idea what that is.

I dont really want to work as a cashier or at a fastfood restuarant. What other jobs could some one with social anxiety, and not having any work experiance do?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe you could work as a janitor, a truck driver or a landscaper... you don't have to interact with people as much in any of those jobs. Think of jobs a person who does not speak English in this country could have.

But let me tell you from experience it will be very hard for you to find a good job, especially now, because you don't have a job now and are not in school. You'll have to start off with something low key.

·
Force of Habit
91 Posts
The first job I had with SA was as a junior office assistant, taking care of things like data entry, filing, mail preparation, tidying the workspace - really basic stuff, with very little interpersonal interaction. Eventually, I was given an opportunity to work backup shifts on the reception desk, which really helped me with my anxiety; and my data entry skills improved so much that I moved on to a transcript typing job, and eventually, to business administration. The job market is pretty tight at the moment for entry-level admin positions, but it's definitely worth a look - and your community college may offer a course in employable admin skills.

Speaking of which, check out some of the other stuff at your community college or university, too - they offer some great courses, including some tailored for people with limited linguistic or social skills, and you never know where they might lead.

Above all, remember that finding a job is hard, but don't let it get you down. If you get turned down, it just means that there's a better opportunity waiting for you somewhere.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
So I'm 20 never had a job, been sitting att home doing nothing for 2 years. Really am getting sick of it, I thnk i'm getting to the point were im just going to force myself to do something. But i have no idea what that is.
I've felt that way since before I was 20 (I'm almost 36 now). I have hated every job I had and quit.

I can't tell you what you should do but I can tell you what not to do. Don't settle for something you know you're going to hate thinking you'll be OK once you get used to it. You won't.

I dont really want to work as a cashier or at a fastfood restuarant.
No, you don't. I've done it and it was absolutely terrible! A few times, I had customers who got really angry and started shouting at me and I just fell apart. I don't know what they (and everyone who could see me) must have thought. I started shaking uncontrollably, turned 300 shades of red, heart palpitations, you name it. I had to leave the counter and go to the break room. And then, I was always embarrassed knowing my coworkers all saw me like that.

What other jobs could some one with social anxiety, and not having any work experiance do?
I honestly don't know. I've been trying to figure that out for years and have come up empty. The only stuff I ever thought of, I looked at the applications and knew I wouldn't get hired.

I guess you could try for something like a night security job but what if you ever actually had to confront someone? Could you do it? I can't really think of too many jobs where you work in isolation.

·
Registered
643 Posts
2nd shift jobs man. I worked a 2nd shift job for nearly 7 years. For most of the time it was just me and 1 other guy. You could try working in a warehouse loading and unloading trucks. There's little social interaction. You might want to see if you can get your forklift liscense. Or you could get your CDL and become a driver. There's is virtually no interaction.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Since you are a guy I think if you apply at a big retail store you'd probably have a good chance of never being on the register. But I would be sure to tell them that when you interview. And they are usually okay with hiring people with no experience.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Data entry? You could get work experience/voluntary work first possibly so you have experience. My first job at 18 was part time in a sandwich shop, I could say I had used a till on work experience even though I'd not had a job.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
The first job I had with SA was as a junior office assistant, taking care of things like data entry, filing, mail preparation, tidying the workspace - really basic stuff, with very little interpersonal interaction. Eventually, I was given an opportunity to work backup shifts on the reception desk, which really helped me with my anxiety; and my data entry skills improved so much that I moved on to a transcript typing job, and eventually, to business administration. The job market is pretty tight at the moment for entry-level admin positions, but it's definitely worth a look - and your community college may offer a course in employable admin skills.

Speaking of which, check out some of the other stuff at your community college or university, too - they offer some great courses, including some tailored for people with limited linguistic or social skills, and you never know where they might lead.

Above all, remember that finding a job is hard, but don't let it get you down. If you get turned down, it just means that there's a better opportunity waiting for you somewhere.
I'm going to second RockNRoll Dream on this one. Go check out a community college, or maybe even an online college

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Since you are a guy I think if you apply at a big retail store you'd probably have a good chance of never being on the register. But I would be sure to tell them that when you interview. And they are usually okay with hiring people with no experience.
The problem (for me anyway) is that most employers (even the bottom of the barrel ones) are wary about hiring people with big gaps in their recent employment history. I haven't worked since 2005 and had a big argument with the boss at the last place I worked and quit. If I put in an application somewhere, it's just going to look bizarre for a 35 year old man to have only five years of employment in the last (almost) two decades.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Cleaning jobs are generally easy, and require little social interaction, apart from maybe a client or manager. A courier driver for a local business is ideal if you have a car that you don't care about... At the moment i'm testing the boundries of my anxiety, by undertaking further study, for a long term opportunity to work alone. Goodluck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The problem (for me anyway) is that most employers (even the bottom of the barrel ones) are wary about hiring people with big gaps in their recent employment history. I haven't worked since 2005 and had a big argument with the boss at the last place I worked and quit. If I put in an application somewhere, it's just going to look bizarre for a 35 year old man to have only five years of employment in the last (almost) two decades.
Tell them you were able to take time off to travel. Or that you were able to live life comfortably without a job for a long period of time, but now with the recession and what not you find yourself in need of a job once again. When you hand in an application be sure to give it to whoever is hiring and tell them this.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Stock shelves at night
Yes, this is a very good job for SAers. I once did 2nd and 3rd shift stocking at a Wal-mart for a temp agency. There was some chatter between the other employees, but there were also plenty of people who just minded their own business. A lot of "socially challenged" people and non-English speakers on 3rd shift.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Umm how about a job in a factory. No new people once you get to know the people working there. Try industrial areas. Despite the recession, some industries that deal with infrustructure are still going strong because, well, recession or not key infrustructure still has to be maintained. Sometimes these companies just need temp staff to deal with sudden spikes in customer orders and the work involved can be learned on the job.

·
Registered
105 Posts
im a truck driver right now, i mean im alone most of the day which is cool but on my stops i have to stop and chat a little bit with the customers, its nothing too bad, some are really nice and some are just plain nasty, but the job i felt most comfortable at was working security at a local gas company, just watched movies, surfed the web, ate, it was a good time.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Tell them you were able to take time off to travel. Or that you were able to live life comfortably without a job for a long period of time, but now with the recession and what not you find yourself in need of a job once again. When you hand in an application be sure to give it to whoever is hiring and tell them this.
That might work for a gap of a year or so but it gets harder to explain when you've only had 1 job for 5 years since 1990 and the job was fast food. Almost nobody can afford that much time off from work unless they're filthy rich. Pretty much any employer is going to want to know why. Especially when they can afford to be picky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts