Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lost in Space
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, along the way of trying to help myself over the past few years, since i bought into the hype that antidepressants fix chemical imbalances. i had come to decide that they can very well CAUSE chemical imbalances as well. they may work for some people but they have royally screwed me over. ever since my 1st one (cymbalta) i've been trying to fix the side effects from it with other meds only to cause more side effects. and these efects have been PERMANENT! at the age oof 18 i became impotent, hair started falling out, emotionally blank, extreme confusion, and just unable to feel like a normal human being. and so, since i took my 1st one in 2005 i've had many people and doctors tell me "you're making it up" or "i dont believe you" or "you clearly dont know what youre talking about" so why in a world where anything is possible, and in a branch of medicine such as psychiatry where we deal with the brain, which is the least understood part of us, do doctors tell me im making this up! instead of just trying to get down to the problem and fix it!?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Maybe you don't think you are making it up and all these drugs screwed your life up but they didn't and you need to move on and find an alternative way to get treatment.
Hypnotherapy or something could be good for you to get over these irrational thoughts and can help Social phobia 2.
Unfortunetly to get a good one they cost a lot of $$$

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Have you gotten blood tests and testosterone levels checked? I can get blood tests for like $10 at some neighborhood clinic.

I'd stay away from antidepressants for now, but many things can have an antidepressant effect from being anti-inflammatory.

You might want to try curcumin/meriva and st johns wort (perika) as well as a multivitamin, vitamin D, good diet, moderate-intense exercise, perhaps melatonin at night if your sleeping pattern sucks and try to maintain a good consistent sleep pattern.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe you don't think you are making it up and all these drugs screwed your life up but they didn't and you need to move on and find an alternative way to get treatment.
What does he mean by impotent exactly? You think he is making up anorgasmia or not being able to get hard? Hair suddenly falling out? The mind is powerful but come on. All I know is if my sexual dysfunction, which I know is being caused by Paxil, ever became permanent and someone tried to say I was making it up I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i agree, most of these medications are garbage. i was on cymbalta and kept getting dizzy, feeling weak, insomnia so bad i had to take 3 ambien a night to get 2 or 3 hours. zoloft made me ill as did lexapro. i stopped drinking 4 years ago but im beginning to think its the only thing that helps with extreme anxiety. i dont know what to do anymore!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
What does he mean by impotent exactly? You think he is making up anorgasmia or not being able to get hard? Hair suddenly falling out? The mind is powerful but come on. All I know is if my sexual dysfunction, which I know is being caused by Paxil, ever became permanent and someone tried to say I was making it up I'd be pissed.
Yep sexual dysfunction is very cumin (common) with SSRI because of the increased serotonin
This goes away most of the time if you can break through the first few weeks
If you stop then you can expect it to fix itself up within 2 weeks
My comments may seem a bit mean or something but this conversation started in another thread and has continued over. These people where suffering enough to take meds and now they blame all the suffering because of the meds
It's not logical and stopping them from finding a real solution to their problems

·
Lost in Space
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess these things just arent conceivable to a person that hasnt experienced a permanent side from a med they took. but you're probably right though, at age 18 there are a number of natural things than can cause sexual dysfunction.. it was just a coincidence that it happened while i was on an antidepressant. i see the truth now.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
i guess these things just arent conceivable to a person that hasnt experienced a permanent side from a med they took. but you're probably right though, at age 18 there are a number of natural things than can cause sexual dysfunction.. it was just a coincidence that it happened while i was on an antidepressant. i see the truth now.
So you cant cum or cant get it up ?
How long is it since you stopped the dose ?

·
Lost in Space
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well my most recent med was buspar, 4 months ago. i took it after reading about it helping people with their libido. it made mine worse and also made my emotions even more "blank" before taking the buspar i hadnt taken a med since november 2009. that was mirapex. i also took it to help with a decreased libido caused by taking effexor in 2007. i took the effexor to help with severe permanent anxiety that a mix of adderall and cymbalta had caused. those were the 1st meds i had ever taken. the adderall was GREAT for about amonth and then all the sudden i had a panic attack because i was so hyped up all the time from the adderall and after that, like i said, i had extreme anxiety from the adderall that would not go away after discontinuing.

now i also tried cyproheptadine to help with these side effects.. and it used to help some.. not so much anymore. i had 1st taken it right after i stopped the effexor. and when it did help i only had to take it for about a month and it to had a permanent effect on me. but it was a good effect. but it only gave me like 50% of my libido back, thats why i ended up trying mirapex.

i have also tried some other meds, but i just listed the ones that caused the main problems. i've also tried wellbutrin, ritalin, prozac, and zoloft. they all had permanent effects on me but not as severe as the others.

i reallly was a normal person with normal problems before taking these meds, i was just being a big baby that ddint know how good i had it.
my weiner is completely dead right now tho. along with 99 percent of my emotions

hope all this makes sense, ever since i took buspar i feel its hard for me to get the right words out in the right way.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
well my most recent med was buspar, 4 months ago. i took it after reading about it helping people with their libido. it made mine worse and also made my emotions even more "blank" before taking the buspar i hadnt taken a med since november 2009. that was mirapex. i also took it to help with a decreased libido caused by taking effexor in 2007. i took the effexor to help with severe permanent anxiety that a mix of adderall and cymbalta had caused. those were the 1st meds i had ever taken. the adderall was GREAT for about amonth and then all the sudden i had a panic attack because i was so hyped up all the time from the adderall and after that, like i said, i had extreme anxiety from the adderall that would not go away after discontinuing.

now i also tried cyproheptadine to help with these side effects.. and it used to help some.. not so much anymore. i had 1st taken it right after i stopped the effexor. and when it did help i only had to take it for about a month and it to had a permanent effect on me. but it was a good effect. but it only gave me like 50% of my libido back, thats why i ended up trying mirapex.

i have also tried some other meds, but i just listed the ones that caused the main problems. i've also tried wellbutrin, ritalin, prozac, and zoloft. they all had permanent effects on me but not as severe as the others.

i reallly was a normal person with normal problems before taking these meds, i was just being a big baby that ddint know how good i had it.
my weiner is completely dead right now tho. along with 99 percent of my emotions

hope all this makes sense, ever since i took buspar i feel its hard for me to get the right words out in the right way.
You have taken meds that people who are in charge of taking care of your problems should never have given you.
I can see why your pissed but try not to take that anger and discount the whole " medication " thing

·
Registered
481 Posts
Medications are harmful

Hey Michael, I know for a fact now that I'm not the only one who feels that medications are harmful. These medications have messed up my life possibly for life. I had severe sexual side effects, emotional numbness (zombie like), being severely drowsy, relationship problems, bad grades and such. I didn't realize I had some of these problems until I actually stepped and evaluated my life. I'm glad I told my psychiatrist to f**k off and never took the medication again. Some of these people on this forum are not aware or choose to ignore these harmful side effects; they will one day experience the same effects. :roll

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
^ Not everyone will experience the same side effects. Been on Lexapro for the past f5-6 years and have not experienced any side effects besides a decrease in tolerance to alcohol.

Although some people may experience similar side effects to yours, it doesn't mean everyone will. Just like some people may benefit from meds, while others don't.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What screwed you up was the giant amount of meds you took, you can't use all that without some side effects.
If you think it's that bad just drop it all and wait a month and your body will come back to normal.
Realize that some "side effects" like your hair falling may not be side effects at all

·
Registered
481 Posts
^ Not everyone will experience the same side effects. Been on Lexapro for the past f5-6 years and have not experienced any side effects besides a decrease in tolerance to alcohol.

Although some people may experience similar side effects to yours, it doesn't mean everyone will. Just like some people may benefit from meds, while others don't.
I never said everyone so please stop with that. Many if not most do experience what I do so don't be so naive. Some research studies shows it may take up to 10 years to notice some serious harmful effects of drugs so keep taking your candy and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I never said everyone so please stop with that. Many if not most do experience what I do so don't be so naive. Some research studies shows it may take up to 10 years to notice some serious harmful effects of drugs so keep taking your candy and see what happens.
Just like some people will benefit from medicine in the long term and will not experience severe side effects past the 10 year point.

Not recommending meds as the ultimate solution as I believe they should be combined with therapy.

And I will keep taking my candy, thank you very much :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just like some people will benefit from medicine in the long term and will not experience severe side effects past the 10 year point.

Not recommending meds as the ultimate solution as I believe they should be combined with therapy.

And I will keep taking my candy, thank you very much :)
One day you will see the problems that will arise. I once thought like you where medication is the solution to everything but sadly I realized the hard way that it wasn't. I do not think they should be combined that is what big pharma companies want you to think; that is why therapist push for medication on you because that how they were trained by big pharma companies. I wish you luck because you need it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You answered you own thread, you took meds an you didnt really need them, pay back time. If you are not not mind numbing depressed or with cronic anxierty , dont take meds. They only help if your really really ill, if not they have the opposite effect an make you ill. Sad but true lots of people blaim meds for screwing there live,s. But to the real mentally ill they save your life, an the side effects are part of the deal.:yes

·
Lost in Space
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think thats kinda weird saying this is payback time because i took the meds without being mind numbingly depressed. doctors will seemingly give antidepressants to anyone for just about any reason. my moms friend went to the doctor last week because he hurt his arm an came back anddd he came back with antidepressants. they give antidepressants to dogs that bark too much. and if it were up to the drug companies, EVERYONE would be on an antidepressant. the psychiatrist and therapist seemed to think i had a legitimate reason to be prescribed antidepressants. its just now i look back on it and realize i should have started out with JUST therapy to see if that would work. i had just bought into the idea back then that these meds "fix chemical imbalances" and the doc told me i had a chemical imbalance so therefore i took the med. cymbalta was my 1st one and it was the popular new med at the time in 2005, with all those commercials with people that are depressed and after they take cymballta they have a smile on their face. the doc diagnosed me with "mild depression" and gave me the meds.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You don't need pills.......

i think thats kinda weird saying this is payback time because i took the meds without being mind numbingly depressed. doctors will seemingly give antidepressants to anyone for just about any reason. my moms friend went to the doctor last week because he hurt his arm an came back anddd he came back with antidepressants. they give antidepressants to dogs that bark too much. and if it were up to the drug companies, EVERYONE would be on an antidepressant. the psychiatrist and therapist seemed to think i had a legitimate reason to be prescribed antidepressants. its just now i look back on it and realize i should have started out with JUST therapy to see if that would work. i had just bought into the idea back then that these meds "fix chemical imbalances" and the doc told me i had a chemical imbalance so therefore i took the med. cymbalta was my 1st one and it was the popular new med at the time in 2005, with all those commercials with people that are depressed and after they take cymballta they have a smile on their face. the doc diagnosed me with "mild depression" and gave me the meds.
Michael do not believe everything the doctor tells you because they themselves are lied to by other doctors and drug companies. Did doctors give you a medical test of some sort to see if you have some disorder? nope just subjective opinions; what is that about? I agree that doctors will give almost anyone a prescription for almost any reason (arms hurts, headache, broken leg). Remember doctors are giving KICKBACKS bybig pharma companies for prescribing these awful meds and the more they prescribe the more money doctors get. Those drug ads are full of crap; do you notice know how much side effects they mention during the ad? LOL. :yes Stay strong and hang in there. Peace. :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Michael do not believe everything the doctor tells you
While you and I may disagree on some effects of meds, I do agree with you strongly on this part.

Many people simply take their doctor's word and take whatever med is prescribed. If you are prescribed something, before you take it (or decide against taking it), look up and perform your on research on the meds to see if you accept the risks/potential side effects of the meds before taking it, knowing that it may or may not help you.

This is not directly toward you michael,but I believe people in general shouldn't take their doctor's word on everything and look up potential side effects before taking a new med.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts