Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
On me "toes"
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When the anxiety gets to be the worse, I sometimes will get very sick. Often I've broke out in a sweat, felt faint, and got nauseated. A couple of times I've 'feigned' sickness and left a situation or event. Actually, I really was sick, only no one knew it was psychological. It sucks. Any one else experience this?

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I chornically "feign" illness to get out of a lot of uncomfortable situations (including w-e-r-k). Kept on skipping school (30% attendance) in my youth, and the habit continued into skipping w-e-r-k.

Sometimes the dread of being somewhere is causing me hours of being almost catatonic. A friend of mine just bought me a cruise ticket, and I can't get on the ship. They think I'm making an excuse as I'm former USN, but my fear of being on a cruise ship causes me nightmares. I paid the friend off and gave the ticket to someone else.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The nausea and feeling faint used to happen a lot when I was in my mid-teens and not yet used to my anxiety symptoms... Going out in public, ie. shopping, was the worst - and combined with emetophobia (fear of vomit/vomiting), I used to carry Pepto Bismol and Gravol around with me, too, as a crutch. Luckily, I "grew out of" the nausea and feeling faint - basically by learning to sternly talk myself out of it as soon as it would start, forcing myself to calm down and ignore the physical sensations until they faded.

On occasion, I do still allow myself to get internally worked up to the point of actually feeling sick so that it doesn't feel like I'm lying when I leave a gathering early... Sometimes I can even talk myself into getting the symptoms of a cold, which "mysteriously" disappear shortly after I'm back home, alone. The mind is a powerful thing... (Not powerful enough to make my SA disappear, though).;);)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I get very sick on my stomach when I am anxious. In extreme cases, I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I had the nausea and complete loss of appetite during severe anxious episodes. Not fun!

·
Credible Hulk
1,775 Posts
I get this too. It is a very unpleasant physical sensation, and it often happens when I'm in a crowded store, though I first remember it happening in college. First I find that I can't concentrate, then come racing thoughts, then I break out in a cold sweat, then I feel compelled to pace, and finally I become nauseated and develop stomach cramps that feel somewhat like a really bad ulcer.

The very second I leave the store and find a place so that I'm removed from sight, my symptoms begin to dissipate until I feel perfectly normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.