Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was on the bus and some little girl was waving at me, I could tell it was a nice kid and I waved back and smiled in a friendly way, but normally I am not comfortable with children. This was an unusual situation, normally I am often worried they will do something or talk to me and then I don't know how to respond. Wonder if anyone else relates; that is you feel socially anxious not just around adults but also around children?

st johns wort

·
Registered
232 Posts
Im like this too...i even work in childrens retail and see both adults and children often...kids make me nervous sometimes...i find myself trying to avoid talking to them...i actually have an easier time talking to adults...but both can be difficult...i think i just have trouble expressing myself in general and that affects all other interpersonal relations

·
Registered
76 Posts
i always worry they going to misunderstand something i say or do and then run to mommy crying and i get evil stares from people then....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes. And worse, it's even with dogs. If I eat something and they stare at me than I feel awkward or something. It is a bit the same feeling when I think people stare at me. Can't concentrate anymore to the television. Don't know if that also is related to anxiety.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yeah, I'm not so good with kids either. Mostly because you are kind of expected to act silly for their entertainment, and that is really hard to do around anyone.

I've gotten a little better about it because my sister and her toddler son moved in, but now I'm subject to ignorant comments about how I isolate myself. It's not fun. :/ Good thing he's not old enough to know I'm suppose to be out with friends. :roll

"mommy why does auntie hide in her room all the time?"

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm just fine around little kids and they usually like me. I freeze up around them when there are adults/others my age observing the whole interaction, which is most of the time I am around kids. I guess I'm not so good with kids because I probably confuse them more than anything.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
I'm usually MORE anxious around kids.. something about them being so brutally honest scares me.. I have no idea how to act around them :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts