Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was on the bus and some little girl was waving at me, I could tell it was a nice kid and I waved back and smiled in a friendly way, but normally I am not comfortable with children. This was an unusual situation, normally I am often worried they will do something or talk to me and then I don't know how to respond. Wonder if anyone else relates; that is you feel socially anxious not just around adults but also around children?

st johns wort

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Yes. It can actually be worse with children because I'm not around them normally and have even less of an idea how to act toward them. My mom has this idea that maybe I could handle substitute teaching at elementary schools instead of middle and high schools, but I feel like if I were forced to interact with children, I would be very awkward and either they would not understand why and just dislike me, or, if they did see why, they would take advantage of it. Even when I was in my late teens, I encountered children who would make fun of me and make me feel like crap.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm kind of afraid of children.I just sit there,not knowing what to do or say to them all though I probably have more in common with them than I do with most adults :)

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,964 Posts
In general I'm ok with them, but I get worried that I'll do something that annoys them or I get bored of them too easily. My main concern, though, is what if I accidentally do something wrong and their parents either see or find out about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I find kids the worst to talk to. I have no idea how to interact with these... Little... Humans... o_O

One time, I was asked to babysit a friends sister for an hour (baring in mind that I had literally zero experience with kids) and ended up making her cry her eyes out... :/

All I did was ask her what her dads job was.... And how her grandma was... How was is supposed to know to steer clear of Family?

... I didn't know that both her grandma and dad had died in a car accident a month before... :(

Another time, I scared the crap out of my next door neighbours 2 year old and 4 year old after I completely forgot who I was talking to and started ranting and raving like a mad woman about... A few things... o_O

Iv never been invited back to babysit since these incidents, which is one good thing I suppose ;)

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I think kids are able to tell that I am not confident even though I'm 27. They can take advantage and talk about me. Sometimes when a group of kids are walking pass me, I feel like there is a chance they might talk about me so I get nervous or that they might say something to me like Hi, and now I have to respond. I have SA even in my dreams, LOL.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
Less shy with children and adults 25+

It's teenagers/young adults that kill me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I'm awkward with little kids like age 2 and up.. basically the time they start talking and are able to interact with you. So sad. It's not too bad when I'm alone with them (like during babysitting) but when other people are around, such as their parents, I just tense up and even when I act all friendly and coo-coo to them it's so awkwardly tense. Kids also tend to be more naive and innocent than other people so they often ask questions and things like that.. while deep down that should make me feel more comfortable, I feel worse. So yeah, I tense up when talking to most kids and can't even make eye contact because their ideas of social interaction norms are different than most people and that just sets me off even more, even though that's illogical because I should feel more comfortable that they're not judging me. Sigh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts