Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
You go in, figure out what kind of sandwich you want, wait in line, tell them. They will ask you what kind of bread if you don't specify, if you want it toasted, if you want cheese (and what kind), and what else you want on it (they may ask you about each thing individually).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm assuming many people here have issues going into places and ordering food, like I do. My issue is not only am I scared of making a fool of myself and not knowing what to do, but also ordering food I've never tried before and ending up hating it.

I've never been to subway, but I figure I'll have to try one of these days. I have no idea what to do, but I guess I'll have to give it a shot. How do I go about getting something from there?
Try going in at a busy time so there is a queue, give you a chance to watch a few people go through the motions.

Here, you queue, then they ask what kind of bread you want, then what fillings, then what salad. Sometimes a different person does a different section, so I just wait till asked for the next bit.

Good for you for setting a goal and going for it. I can relate to the fear, but I found it went quite smoothly.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
i think having issues with ordering food, especially subway, is a common thing for people with sa. i dn't think you should feel ashamed about it.

go in, and look for the sign that says "please order here". usually it's on the opposite side to the cash register

all the instructions for ordering are very clearly marked nowadays lol. you can get bread on white or brown, and there are 3-5 other fancier varieties iirc. and you can see what each bread looks like because they have it displayed

so you ask for what sub you want and specify if you want 6 or 12 inch, and type of bread. they'll likely ask if you want it toasted (warmed up). then they ask if you want it with cheese. sometimes they try to upsell you to extra cheese or meat which costs extra. then you move over a bit to the veggie area, veggies are all there so you can pick the ones you want, as many as you want. then the sauces, there is a sign that shows what each one is. being in canada you can ask for sub sauce :p it's sort of a vinaigrette type thing.

then you move to the register and they will ask if you want a combo (cookie/chips and a drink). and that's up to you. personsally i recommend the white chip macadamia nut cookies but all subway cookies are pretty great

it's really not as scary as it seems! go for it! best of luck.

·
Love,Peace & Kittens!
53 Posts
Figure out what you want to eat, Then just be calm about it and everything should go smoothly, If you feel to nervous, try drive thru because you don't physically have to see anyone, your just talking into a speaker.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well I just got back from doing it. It went pretty decently. I fumbled a little and was not totally sure what I was doing. I didn't even get what I came in to get because I could not read the sign, and also because I was worried I would irritate the people at the counter for waiting too long, but I ended up with something tasty regardless. I'm happy I was brave enough to do it and I might go back tomorrow to try again.
Good job! :)

·
nascentes morimur
587 Posts
Get a foot long pizza sub on italian herbs and cheese bread. That's my favourite order :D Yeah totally man you should go to subway. It's the bomb!

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have problems with ordering food at places too, idk why...i can do it but i feel uncomfortable about it. i feel better if someone orders with me but if I do it alone, I just feel really awkward and vulnerable for some reason. but yea you should go for it.

·
bill philbertson
404 Posts
Interesting thread, I set myself the same goal not long ago because I hadn't been there for ages and was worried about not knowing the procedure. Nothing beats a good foot-long sub!!

·
?
505 Posts
Get a foot long pizza sub on italian herbs and cheese bread. That's my favourite order :D Yeah totally man you should go to subway. It's the bomb!
Damn! Pizza sub sounds like the sh*t!
We don't have that here in CA. :blank

But on topic, I've found that the best way to get over the fear of a new situation is to do all you can to prepare for it.

Like when I was preparing to ride the bus for the first time, I didn't just go and get on the bus, I looked online before hand and researched how to ride the bus, the bus route, etc. etc.

Oh, and keep on going to different places: exposure therapy really does work!

Edit:
Day-um! out of curiosity I decided to type into google "how to order at subway" and a few how-to pages actually came up... it seems like a person could prepare for pretty much any situation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i think having issues with ordering food, especially subway, is a common thing for people with sa. i dn't think you should feel ashamed about it.

go in, and look for the sign that says "please order here". usually it's on the opposite side to the cash register

all the instructions for ordering are very clearly marked nowadays lol. you can get bread on white or brown, and there are 3-5 other fancier varieties iirc. and you can see what each bread looks like because they have it displayed

so you ask for what sub you want and specify if you want 6 or 12 inch, and type of bread. they'll likely ask if you want it toasted (warmed up). then they ask if you want it with cheese. sometimes they try to upsell you to extra cheese or meat which costs extra. then you move over a bit to the veggie area, veggies are all there so you can pick the ones you want, as many as you want. then the sauces, there is a sign that shows what each one is. being in canada you can ask for sub sauce :p it's sort of a vinaigrette type thing.

then you move to the register and they will ask if you want a combo (cookie/chips and a drink). and that's up to you. personsally i recommend the white chip macadamia nut cookies but all subway cookies are pretty great

it's really not as scary as it seems! go for it! best of luck.
This.

I look at a menu at any restaurant and eventually become lost. They are all now clearly marked nowadays.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
If it's a place I have not been to before I usually like it beter when the place is empty. That way I don't feel rushed to order something. The problem with some places is that they are always busy. There's a pizza place in springfield MA that is always packed. It must be good because so many people eat there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts