Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very quiet, but hard working student. However, for this particular class, on the midterm I scored 1 point under the median for a class. I forced myself to go to my teacher for help. I found that I had a 3.4 GPA (class median set at a 3.0). When I said what my goal was for the class I said, "As high as possible, but a 3.6." After that, I could tell that she put in the extra effort to help me succeed in the class. In addition to asking questions over email, I went to office hours to get help with an extra credit assignment and to pick up and ask questions about a quiz. In the end, I jumped over 12 other students and raised my GPA to a 3.7 (7/49 in the class). At the end of the quarter, when she sent a email thanking us for a wonderful quarter and asking us to send her information about our textbooks, I sent the information she wanted as well as a short thank you:

Teacher's Name,

Thank you for your generous help this quarter. I truly appreciate your willingness to work with my extra credit assignment as well as your clear and detailed explanations to my other concerns. In the end, it was a direct reason why I was able to improve and exceed my goal for this class!

Thanks again,

My Name.

However, the next quarter I found out that my former teacher was teaching a class right by mine. At the beginning of the quarter, she walked right past me from behind after class. I wasn't sure if you saw me or not, but from there on out I tried to stay a professional distance. But half way through the quarter she saw me waiting by the door and was surprised to see me, but I looked away. Then the next day she was helping a student from her current class in my own classroom before class, but yet I didn't stop and say anything. Then, I walked by her in the hall when she was talking to another student without saying anything even though I knew that she saw me. Then, the second to last day, she gave me a death stare when she saw me and walked away. I was just too shy to do anything. I keep telling myself that that's probably what she feels as well, but I don't know ... it feels like she is upset at me or something and I felt as if I had committed a crime.

I really like the class she taught and the last time I took her class was a year ago. Now she's teaching the second class in the series and there are other teachers teaching the same section, but since I've already taken her class once and liked it I feel like it would be best to take it with her again. There is a good chance that she might not remember me, but because of what happened, I fear that I was too memorable that by taking her class again, it would to awkward to do so because of what happened 8-10 months ago.

What should I do?

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
You don't actually know what the teacher was thinking. Likely she didn't even notice you and/or was busy thinking about something else.

Take the class. You'll probably enjoy it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I read your post but couldn't figure out what happened. So she saw you and you saw her but didn't acknowledge each others?!

Your reaction sounded like you spied on her or something but I'm pretty sure you didn't.

Lighten-up!

·
Registered
729 Posts
It seems like it could just be a misunderstanding. You are waiting for her to make the first move and she is waiting for you to make the first move. From the first half of your description, it sounds like she really cares about her students and would be a great help if you decided to take her class again. Also, what teacher would be upset at you after you sent a personal thank you note like that?

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
I am a very quiet, but hard working student. However, for this particular class, on the midterm I scored 1 point under the median for a class. I forced myself to go to my teacher for help. I found that I had a 3.4 GPA (class median set at a 3.0). When I said what my goal was for the class I said, "As high as possible, but a 3.6." After that, I could tell that she put in the extra effort to help me succeed in the class. In addition to asking questions over email, I went to office hours to get help with an extra credit assignment and to pick up and ask questions about a quiz. In the end, I jumped over 12 other students and raised my GPA to a 3.7 (7/49 in the class). At the end of the quarter, when she sent a email thanking us for a wonderful quarter and asking us to send her information about our textbooks, I sent the information she wanted as well as a short thank you:

Teacher's Name,

Thank you for your generous help this quarter. I truly appreciate your willingness to work with my extra credit assignment as well as your clear and detailed explanations to my other concerns. In the end, it was a direct reason why I was able to improve and exceed my goal for this class!

Thanks again,

My Name.

However, the next quarter I found out that my former teacher was teaching a class right by mine. At the beginning of the quarter, she walked right past me from behind after class. I wasn't sure if you saw me or not, but from there on out I tried to stay a professional distance. But half way through the quarter she saw me waiting by the door and was surprised to see me, but I looked away. Then the next day she was helping a student from her current class in my own classroom before class, but yet I didn't stop and say anything. Then, I walked by her in the hall when she was talking to another student without saying anything even though I knew that she saw me. Then, the second to last day, she gave me a death stare when she saw me and walked away. I was just too shy to do anything. I keep telling myself that that's probably what she feels as well, but I don't know ... it feels like she is upset at me or something and I felt as if I had committed a crime.

I really like the class she taught and the last time I took her class was a year ago. Now she's teaching the second class in the series and there are other teachers teaching the same section, but since I've already taken her class once and liked it I feel like it would be best to take it with her again. There is a good chance that she might not remember me, but because of what happened, I fear that I was too memorable that by taking her class again, it would to awkward to do so because of what happened 8-10 months ago.

What should I do?
I did stuff like that in the past and I have seen people do it a number of times. She probably didn't understand why you didn't just say hi. You sent a signal with that. She then didn't say hi to you when she spoke to that other student. From her perspective: Why should she have greeted you? You had looked away before and she wouldn't have wanted for something like that to happen again.

Look, we mess up sometimes because we feel insecure in a split second when we should say something. But with that we send a signal to the other and they withdraw. Moral of the story: Relax and say hi to people. :) Personally, I wouldnt go back to her class. Leave it and start afresh with some other teacher. :yes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts