Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to a psychiatrist for my first time tmew after school so its going to be first step to overcoming SA and im a bit scared to take meds. Ive heared lots of bad stories about how you can get addicted to them, the side effects are worse than the condition, theres long term problems with taking meds, and if you decide to come off of them you get bad effects or something cause your body has to get used to them. Man all this sounds like a big turn off to meds!! Im thinking of just taking natural herbal supplememnts that ive been taking for depression and it completly annialated my depression and they work fast with no side effects. Im thinkig of takinf Sredyn for my anxiety which is a natural supplement. Heres the link..http://seredyn.com/help_social.html

It sounds like a good supplememnt to take and theyre only 35 dollars and it has an 82% positive results with people with social anxiety they sound really effective and ive had good luck with natural meds. So what do you guys think are the meds like zoloft or praxil worth trying out. I have to wait 4 days til I get Seredyn but i have my appointment tmrw? thnx in advance.:D

·
Registered
676 Posts
You'll find meds are a complete crap shoot and "natural" alternatives are no different. Any one med may transform your existence into one of complete balance and happiness or they may do nothing but make you feel like whale **** on the bottom of the ocean. Every med will have a different effect because they all work differently.

If you do find a med that can help your social anxiety, any side effects you may have (if you have any) will most likely be a joke compared to the relief you would feel.

Make sure you inform the doc about taking seredyn.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Seredyn has no proven efficiency at all. But it's ingredients sound OK.

·
Registered
84 Posts
your social anxiety doesnt seem to be too bad if you are considering not to take meds, perhaps u dont need them after all?

i only take meds for anxiety performance, guess it depends on your situation

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
I've been taking 20mg Paxil for 5 weeks now and I haven't noticed ANY side affects; it seems to be helping a bit so far, still time for it to build up and increase it's effects so I'm hopeful.

The reason why there's so much negative **** about ssri's online is because naturally humans tend to complain if somethings ****ed but if things go well a lot of the time they don't bother shouting all over the net that it went well for them, so as you can see, the net becomes swarmed with negative experiences.

That's my theory as to why there's so much anti-meds stuff around the place which actually scared me off the idea of taking them for a while until my I knew I had to bite the bullet and try something new because nothing else was working for me.

If you think you should try, go for it :) Nothing to loose!

·
calm
264 Posts
oh you guys are ruining the placebo effect for him. i suggest you talking your doctor, i know it sounds cliche but this guys here arent good advise they mostly judge own their own medication experience.
i dont dare advising your for a specific medication, but if you suffer strongly under SA you shouldnt rule it out everlong

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
You would be better off buying the supplements individually(L-Theanine,Valerian ,Passionflower) instead of the product listed above.It would be more cost effective and the mgs per pill/capsule would probably be higher.It would allow you to adjust the amount of each supplement taken;since there are different ranges of effectivness for each individual within the given dosing parameters of any supplement or medication.For example, I may need 400mg of L-Theanine to produce the desired calming effect while 200mg might work well for you.You can find these supplements at very good prices at either an online store or your local health food store.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah so i just came back from talking to my psychiatrist and he gave me 10mg lexapro and im supposed to take it everymorning after breakfast. Well im hoping forthe best I hope my anxiety levels go low and i hope i dont get that much sideffects I rather have sideffects than anxiety. Hope they start working fast though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah so i just came back from talking to my psychiatrist and he gave me 10mg lexapro and im supposed to take it everymorning after breakfast. Well im hoping forthe best I hope my anxiety levels go low and i hope i dont get that much sideffects I rather have sideffects than anxiety. Hope they start working fast though.
Thats the only medicine that has ever been effective for helping with my depression/anxiety. Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would advise you to avoid them if there's a chance you don't need them. If you can function without meds, by all means do so. Are you getting pills just for SA, or for depression (or some other condition)?

I went on antidepressants in my teens for "major depression" (their diagnosis, not mine) - I kind of figured popping a pill would mitigate my issues. They didn't - I think I would have had similar results with a placebo without the longstanding side effects. At this point it's not as if I was so depressed I couldn't function; I was moody and self-destructive, but not to the point where I think (in retrospect) I needed antidepressants. After a couple years of having taken them regularly, I have retrograde memory loss - old memories are hazy and virtually inaccessible. I didn't have this symptom before going on pills. I *can* function academically, but I've lost a great deal of mental clarity thanks to antidepressants. Just my experience - it's up to you to decide whether or not you need them. Remember though that they don't have conclusive studies about the long-term effects of antidepressants... drug companies aren't even sure what brain mechanisms they affect, to the point where alleviation of depression seems almost incidental.

As for anxiolytics, it's a crapshoot. If you try them out and feel they make you happier and better able to function, by all means take them. Just remember that benzos can cause withdrawal symptoms when you go off them. If you're dead set on changing your behavioral patterns (this will in turn alter your brain chemistry) and feel you can cope with SA without anti-anxiety tablets, avoid them.

Generally you shouldn't mess with chemicals unless or until you absolutely need them. It shouldn't hurt to give them a try for a couple of months, though.
Yeah i actually really do need em.I have a chemical inbalnce in my brain so it should help alot. Ima try them out for a couple of months if they have like a big effect on me in a positive way ima keep taking them but if they dont do anything for me ill go off of them but im expecting good results so lets see what happens in a couple of months. My psychiatrist gave me Lexapro 10mg.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts