Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend some friends are going to vegas & invited me. I originally accepted the invitation & planned on going. I took off work & already have the weekend off...but I don't know I'm kinda starting to have my doubts...

My good childhood friend invited me. Some of her friends she studied abroad with are coming, along with her (very) new boyfriend & some mutual friends. I'm kinda weary of her & her new boyfriend. They got together really fast & I kinda feel like they are rebounding off one another but are too wrapped up in their lust to even notice. Of course I'd never tell her this because who am I to judge? Plus its not my place. I'd never mention it but I can't help but think it when I see them together & I feel I constantly want to roll my eyes (I don't because I try really hard to resist). I don't know what my deal is with them, they just get on my nerves easily. Also he is quite annoying himself. He's one of those guys who always tries to be the funny/loud/random guy in the room...to the point where it feels forced. Like I want to tell him to stop trying so hard for attention.

I don't know if I can spend a whole weekend with them when I feel so weary of them together in the first place. Also the other girls we are going up with aren't MY friends. They are her friends she made in college...the last time I hung out with them they were constantly talking about their funny memories when they studied abroad. Also...honestly I'm not really feel that confident with myself right now either. I feel like vegas is a place to strut your stuff, look cute, go to clubs & get drunk. You see girls in their 20s dressed in tight dresses & trying to outdo each other. Right now I don't really like my body (I've gained some weight) is at its best, I'm not liking my current hair (but can't do anything because I'm trying to get it to the grow to the length I want) & I don't really know if I feel like doing the whole vegas thing when I'm feeling insecure about myself right now. I don't want to miss up a fun opportunity because I don't know when the next time I will be able to go...but at the same time the thought of spending a weekend with my friend & her new boyfriend, her friends from college, & my poor current image is making me have my doubts. Would you go? Or stay? What do you think?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh...so the other night I told my friend I wasn't 100% sure about Vegas.

She just asked me why I wasn't sure & I told her I just wasn't sure if I was feeling it. She asked what I wasn't feeling. I told her that I feel like Vegas is a place to flaunt it & I just don't feel like flaunting it right now. I told her I don't feel like I'm on my A game (AKA I don't feel really attractive or sexy about myself right now). She asked why & I told her I just don't (I feel like I've gained a lot of weight am not feeling very confident). I also told her I don't like my hair right now either. Overall I was getting at...I'm not feeling very attractive or confident right now & I don't know how I feel about going to Vegas with a bunch of ****ty skinny girls at the club. I didn't say that but thats how I'm feeling. When I told her about the hair thing she said "thats about the lamest excuse I've ever heard". I got a lil defensive & told her that shes not understanding & just told her "never mind". She kept going so I said "never mind ok, bye". Shes pissed because she doesn't understand my doubts & I'm pissed because I was basically trying to tell her how I'm really feeling & I feel like she didn't get it & called it stupid.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You should go.

I had a similar experience last may when my cousin was graduating college. He's a year behind me. It was basically go spend the weekend in his frat house with his frat friends where there will be parties and bar outings 24/7. I too was not feeling super confident about the idea, but I went anyways. Turned out it was fun, I got along well enough with everybody, and my being drunk helped out quite a bit.

You should go. You have to push yourself to do things you think you can't or you won't ever grow.

Vegas is the perfect place to just let yourself go and socially experiment. Look at it as an educational field trip. Oh, and you're wrong in your initial premise "Vegas is about flaunting your stuff." - No, not at all. I've been to Sin City ever since I was 10. Vegas is full of the ugly, sad, depressed, addicted, and especially overweight. It's kind of known for that actually, if you ever wonder off the Strip (don't ever do that by the way.) Vegas is about indulging and getting ****ed up. And money. Lot's and lot's of illicit money. (Or if you're like me it's about psychedelic drugs and getting lost in an urban jungle.)

I say you should just go there to enjoy yourself. Bars and clubs are very expensive but liquor stores are very cheap. So I suggest you carry a flask or pre-game in the hotel room if you think getting ****ed up my give you some liquid courage. Watch some classic movies about Vegas. "Fear & Loathing", "Leaving Las Vegas", "Oceans 11", "The Hangover", "Vegas Vacation"... It'll put you in the mood.

I would go if I were you, just to bungee-jump off the Stratosphere. It's only a hundred bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts