Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently suffer from SAD, its been 7 years now if not more. my job is set partly in a social enviroment. ive been there for almost 9 months now and i am thinking about living. i feel unhappy and unappreciated at work. although i know i must be doing something right or i would be fired by now. though in the past i only was afraid of social situations, now ever since i've been working i have panic attacks and a frequent urge to vomit or move my bowels i was told that my phobia is the cause. this job pays ok. iam able to pay my bills, not as much as i would like but everything is stable finacially. but is it worth every thing i am going trough should i take a break? so what should i do?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
It sounds like you're in a really hard situation! I think it's going to be hard to offer you advice on what to do, though.

Are you currently seeking any treatment for social anxiety or have you considered it?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
If you're having physical symptoms, I'd be inclined to see your doctor. He/she might be able to help. I saw a doctor a few years ago for stress and mild depression, and the best thing he did was to advise taking regular exercise. I started doing that every day, and now feel a lot more relaxed mentally. Things that bothered me at work and which I'd ruminate about at home don't seem as important any more (I can finally get a decent night's sleep) and although social situations at work still aren't my idea of a good time, I'm now in a better frame of mind for dealing with them.

·
mind
22 Posts
sounds like a difficult choice but i think it would probably be best if you stay in your current job until you find a better option and then switch... if i was in your position id just stay no matter what unless they fire me and id get on medication to control the physical symptoms.. good luck

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've always felt the same way about work - i've always felt unappreciated (as well as unwanted, unliked, not good enough at my job). In fact i've spent most of the last eight years waiting for the day when my boss gives me the sack, but it hasn't come yet, and, thinking realistically, it is unlikely to as others have been let go, while I have been given raises and more responsibility. I also have serious bouts of unhappiness at work, and have numerous times thought seriously about walking out (I have done this twice in previous jobs, when in my early 20s - I wouldn't actually do it now). Its hard to get myself to see things rationally when i'm in these moods, but when others there have felt the same (there's quite a few of us at my workplace who have similar feelings, we spend so much time helping each other through these bad times) I reassure them that they are appreciated, its just that our bosses don't show it. If you weren't appreciated you would be let go tomorrow - they only keep you at work because you are good enough for the job.

As Amelia said, if you are having physical symptoms, see a doctor. Its best to be on the safe side and have these checked out, and he/she may be able to offer you advice on how to reduce/rid you of these sumptoms.

Please don't leave your job without giving it serious thought first. It is so hard at the moment to get a job, and even if you do you may find yourself feeling exactly the same way at this new job, and so all you will have done is given yourself the added stress of finding a new job. I've found it comes down to how you look at your job. It can be a terrible job or an excellent job, but it comes down to how you think of it. You can let it overwhelm you and get totally anxious about it, or tell yourself that whether anyone else lets you know or not, you know that you are good enough for your job, and can excell at it.

I hope you come to a decision about your job that is truly what you want, and what truly makes you happy :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts