Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. My father referred me to his former therapist and I feel kind of ambivalent about it. I just feel it's kind of awkward to see the same therapist my father was seeing. My father spoke with him, gave me his phone number and the therapist is awaiting my call, but, I don't have the stomach to call him just yet. I would be seeing him alone, not a joint session with my father. This is primarily for some of my anxiety\OCD issues. My father claims he has a PhD and is very experienced. What would you do if you were in the same situation? Would you feel awkward about seeing the same therapist that close members of your family has previously seen?

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it. If the guy is professional, then the fact that he was my father's probably wouldn't make any difference realistically speaking, but i wouldn't do it as I'd feel that for my own peace of mind, *my* therapy is my own, and I would want it to be wholly unconnected to anyone who knows me. But, that's just me.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I'd give it a shot. It can be hard to find a therapist you can connect with anyway. He might be a really great person to work with. He used to see your dad. He hasn't seen you yet! It's new, and he'd be your therapist. So yeah, I say give it a shot if seeing a therapist is something you want. Every therapist has worked with someone before you anyway, haha.

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
Well, I would hope that any therapist you go to would have at least a Master's degree in psychology or a related field. It couldn't hurt to give it a try. Lots of people need to go through many different therapists to find the right one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts