Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
abducted by aliens
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working lately on just trying to level out my anxiety. My doctor has been great about it and is helping me look for a therapist. Yesterday though, he suggested that maybe we should start medication for my bi-polar. I told him that right now, I really don't want to add anymore medications to the list. Do you think that I made the right choice? Would treating my bi-polar help with my anxiety. I guess I could of asked my doctor while I was there but I didn't so I'm asking you lovely people :)

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
What other medications are you on? For me, Bipolar was an underlying cause for many of my other problems, So by treating it with medication (Lamictal) It really helped everything else. Seeing a therapist won't do you any good, they can't prescribe medications. I see no reason to not work with your doctor to get help ASAP.

For me an everyone I've heard from, yes treating the bipolar helps to ease the anxiety. I say let your doctor help you, unless there is some other reason why you do not think that is a good idea? Good luck.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
For me, Bipolar was an underlying cause for many of my other problems, So by treating it with medication (Lamictal) It really helped everything else.
I never knew you were bipolar. Very interesting. Perhaps this helps explain why Lamictal works for you. My GP had me try Lamictal years ago and I found it to be a sugar pill, though I'm not bipolar which might help explain why it was useless for me. (Yeah, I know I have a stunning history of finding everything generally useless.)

I too am interested in hearing what meds the OP is currently on. And also what med(s) her doc suggests to treat her bipolar.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes. If you have bipolar it is important to take a mood stabiliser. Mood episodes damage the brain and worsen the illness. Taking a stabiliser protects your brain. It can even help to heal what's already been damaged.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Im not even bipolar. But it wouldn't hurt having a stabilzation med on stand by just incase.

·
abducted by aliens
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now, I'm on paxil, wellbutrin, and klonopin. He wants to start me on lithium for my bi-polar. He's also working with me on finding a therapist who works with CBT. That's something I wanted though... I've heard things about lithium and I'm not really sure I want to take it. I think I will ask him about alternative medications at our next appointment. Thanks for the responses :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts