Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I applied in May for a job and it wasn't until October I made through long process bs finally got technically hired. Problem is they lied in the job description and the union contract so there are NO guaranteed hours at all. Everytime I call the sup practically hangs up on me and says there are "one or two" people ahead of me on the list. Well three months ago they had nine people ahead of me. Realistically I am supposedly "on call" until Jan. 15 but practically I am not guaranteed ANY HOURS at all.

I had to turn down offer for cashier job which would have sucked working but it was technically steady hours because this other job has potential to bid on other part time work after Jan. 15 when I am guaranteed to be laid off. Should I just leave now and get steady work? I am sick of my parents asking me, "When do you start?" or "Do you have to work today?" literally every day.

Neither job is union and it's at-will employment state but the other job has potential to become union and part-time or bid on full-time but like I said currently I have not worked a single day and it doesn't look good. I am sick of the run around from their bs and I am sick of my parents harassing me every day about "Join the union" or "The merchant marine guy paid his union dues!" or some other bullying.

·
Dogra Magra
3,878 Posts
Do any of the jobs you're applying to do reference checks? if not i would just put this "on call" job on your resume as started in October and keep looking. and if anybody asks why you're "leaving" just say i don't get enough hours or something. from what i've heard a lot of service sector part-time jobs demand full-time availability on standby, so if you're dutifully waiting around for them to make good on their promise and actively turning down other jobs (like, dude...), you're wasting time that you could've spent making money.

Unless you're able to spend all this waiting time building skills to get a job with better pay + security. i mean i don't know about your situation specifically, but that's might be something to consider too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. I applied to some other places in the meantime so it's waiting on those. The main problem is how do I have to explain this to my parents who are continuing to pressure me for a schedule when there is no schedule at all for this job. And mainly I cannot talk on the phone while my parents are right there in the room next door eavesdropping on me so I will not accept an "on-call permanently" status job - I just won't answer them.

I get how the recruiters try to upsell their companies but there is actual opportunity for union job, vacation, pension, etc. but like you say there is nothing there it's just carrot and sticking!

Do any of the jobs you're applying to do reference checks?
I usually check do not contact former employers if there's an option for it and I haven't had any references in three years because I don't do anything and don't know anyone. They don't even ask for resumes but this current job wanted ten years of work history on the application. The constant "as needed" and no schedule is unacceptable and they lied in the job description to keep temps out of the union while they violate the contact with PVDs which I know they have 3 or 4 as well.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If a company is messing you about with communication before you've even joined, it's sometimes a sign that things aren't much more organised when you join. Definitely a red flag, and not nice to treat someone with the "maybe, maybe not" game for that long. I'd definitely look for another role who'll be straight with you. Hope that one of the other applications comes through for you. I can understand that it's a challenge to manage parents in this situation. Why are they pressuring you for a schedule?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why are they pressuring you for a schedule?
My parents say they've given me enough time since I graduated college in 2017 and never have had a real full time job. I didn't even want to go to college but they made me and paid for most of it so I have no debt now except to Jesus Christ whom I can never repay. I thought I was going to college to learn not to train for jobs? Mostly I am antisocial and avoidant, narcissistic, socoipathic, etc. Today my parents are near retirement which will be a nightmare and when I reach age 30 no job at home forever I will just go jump off the local bridge!

So my parents are thinking about their insurance, healthcare, benefits, retirement plans, and want me to have ALL OF THAT stuff IMMEDIATELY or they think I am a failure autistic retard.

I remember the moments they lost my trust permanently. I don't hate them but I will never trust them again. I can forgive them but for what? There's nothing to forgive. I just will never trust them again. I mentioned in another post when my parents called the police to search my room because I was out late. Then one time my dad asked what is my problem because I have no friends. And my mom has lost my trust with the whole vax agenda - if I had been a child during those times I would have been forcibly injected and masked for ten hours a day. But I doubt I would have had the courage to run away if that was what had happened but I might have been able to make it to a free state such as Florida or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts