Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually hate hanging out in groups but my coworkers invited me and I keep avoiding their parties. I'm not real close with them so I don't know what to expect. There will be alcohol, I don't have to drink, but....

I don't know if I even want them as friends, but maybe that's just SA talking. I could have a bad experience, it seems more likely than having a good experience since I've never been real comfortable with them. Is it worth taking a chance on a situation that I don't normally enjoy and possibly embarrassing myself by being the awkward quiet one who can't relax..... or should I just keep on ignoring the invites and stay home? I'm leaning toward staying home.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
In general, I think it's good to push yourself to do things that might be somewhat uncomfortable. But if the anxiety is too much then I wouldn't go because it could end up being something that just reinforces your anxiety.

If you're unsure about wanting them as friends it does no harm to go and get to know them better. When I was younger, I was about as bad a case of anxiety as you can get. But I really credit a group of supportive and caring co-workers I found many years ago, with getting me on a track towards improving. Of course, your situation might be entirely different from mine. But pushing yourself (not too hard) is what usually leads to progress.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go, drink and let loose. But that's if you feel somewhat comfortable with them and want them as friends. If you're not comfortable with them and you know you'll just stay in the corner and not say a word it might be better not to go.

·
A jagged pulse
310 Posts
I think you should go. dont drink if you dont want to....just go and have a good time.block out all the negtive thoughts that may try to talk to you. tell SA to shut its mouth.and you better dance lol:boogie

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would go. Be happy that people are inviting you to go places. You don't have to accept all of their invites of course, but if you keep avoiding them they may stop inviting you all together. It sounds like you might be tired of staying home, so use this opportunity to develop your social skills. It will get better, just keep working at it.

GO! :)

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think a part of you wants to go or else you wouldn't have made this thread, so I say take a chance and go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this site. I worked at Mcdonalds for 4 years. They invited me to some parties. I would choose not to go cause i also felt uncomfortable. I also didn't feel included. So if i were you i wouldn't go if you dont feel comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts